Thread: HELP! Tuning issues on 2013 Cummins

Exclamation HELP! Tuning issues on 2013 Cummins

Please help!* Disclaimer upfront - This is our first diesel and first foray into tuning, so forgive me for any stupid questions. Our 2013 MegaCab has been sitting in our driveway for a couple months now, and we can't figure out how to remedy the issues we're having. We purchased an Anarchy Diesel Mercenary AutoCal V2 through a seller on eBay, loaded with a custom CSP5 tune. We gave the tuner our vehicle mod specs (outlined below) and advised them of the rebuilt "bulletproof" transmission. My husband flashed the tune into the truck and it seemed like everything went fine. However, a few days later, the truck started having issues shifting, and throwing codes P0734, P0735, P1474, P1478, P2580, and U010C. We've dealt with the first two codes, but the others remain. The check engine light is on, and when we start the truck, a message pops up to see dealer & "Service Active Airbox." Then, a couple days ago, my husband jumped in the truck to move it into the garage and the transmission wouldn't fully engage. Reversing it 10 yards required a few minutes, as he could only get a minimal amount of power to the wheels, while the engine revved high. So, now the truck is completely undrivable.
    We live on an island, so access to knowledgeable/capable/equipped mechanics is nearly non-existent, leaving us to figure most things out ourselves. We've reached out to the eBay seller, no help. The tuner has been even more disappointing - We've sent several emails, called a number of times and left voicemails for Anarchy, but no one has responded to any of our messages at all. In the meantime, we downloaded the EFILive software to see if we couldn't at least get more info on the specific problem(s). In doing that, we noticed the ECM license for the tune is in use, but the transmission license says it's still available. Maybe this has something to do with the problems? Would flashing the truck back to completely stock and then attempting to reflash the tune possibly alleviate some of the issues? The transmission was completely rebuilt just a few months ago, so I find it hard to believe there is actually something physically/mechanically wrong there, unless it's faulty work. Hubs is at the end of his rope, so we would really appreciate any help, advice, ideas, anyone could give us. I've outlined the truck specs, below, but please just lemme know if you need more info to help diagnose. THANK YOU!!!

2013 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins MegaCab 4x4
    Transmission: Automatic
    ECM: CME CM2350B
    B-D power 1045753 rumble B S366Sx-E Turbo kit w/intake
    Throttlebody delete
    Egr/DEF Delete (we don't have smog tests for passenger vehicles in our state)

Don't worry about the transmission license still being available, in these vehicles the ECM controls the transmission as well (assuming it is the 68RFE and not the Aisin).
    You could try a stock tune to see if it cures the limp mode situation but given what has been done to the truck (looking in your signature) you'll instantly run into problems again. EFILive doesn't allow users to disable DTC's or emissions equipment on these, most of this sort of tuning is done outside of EFILive itself, EFILive just becomes the flash tool.

Stock tunes are available via links in THIS thread. However you might find it tricky to determine which file to use, if you can look at the ECM (mounted on the side of the engine) and there will be a sticker on there with some part numbers.
    If you can post up what the 'E/C' number says we can guide you to the correct stock file for your truck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CME_EC.png 
Views:	314 
Size:	499.2 KB 
ID:	23517

But as I said this isn't going to run nice at all given your truck is far from stock, but it might help as a starting point to fault find on the transmission.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Hi Ross,
    Thanks for the reply, sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. For some reason, I couldn't log in.
    It is indeed a 68RFE, which was recently rebuilt: new torque converter, solenoid, pressure sensor, valvebody. E/C part number is 05290174. The truck isn't technically in limp mode, though it's definitely acting similarly. I realize EFI doesn't actually provide custom tunes for deleted vehicles, hence this tune coming from Anarchy. Unfortunately, despite calling and emailing a number of times, we've been unable to get in contact with anyone from Anarchy. On top of that, it looks like the EPA has really cracked down on the emissions stuff and a number of companies have completely removed any and all products/info from their websites. After doing my best to research the issues online, plus poking around in the EFI software while plugged into the truck, the only solution I can seem to see is to flash the truck back to stock, then flash the custom tune in again, hoping it takes properly this time. I'm wondering if there is a way to look at the tune itself, to see if perhaps it's faulty, or has incorrect parameters set up? Again, I'm learning as I go here, so I really appreciate any help. Just in case it matters, here's the rest of the ECM info I got from the EFI scan ->
    Calibration ID: 32370231AI
    Operating System: 52140204
    Data Software: 05150521AC
    Boot Software: 00000000AA
    Cal Verification: $B72BD66F

Unfortunately that isn't the E/C number you posted so we can't verify what should be in your vehicle. The Calibration ID in your ECM according to Dodge is for a '2014 D2 DJ 6.7L AUTO 50ST D2 - RAM 3500 PICKUP'

There isn't much we can do for you as far as validating what has been done to the tune (particularly when it wasn't created within what EFILive offers for tuning parameters), and with these ECM's (any ECM actually) there isn't such as thing as a tune not taking properly when flashed. It either went in 100% or it didn't, and in the case if it didn't then the vehicle wouldn't even start.

I'm not really sure what you can do to get it fully resolved, we can still assist in pointing you to the correct stock file for your vehicle but we'd need to see what that E/C number is printed on the side of the ECM (see my picture in the previous post).
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Oops, my bad, that's definitely not the E/C number. Sorry! The E/C is D090001.14. All of the other info is from the autocal scan. So, if it says the cal ID is for a 2014 3500, that's only a little off. Lots of the parts come back as 2014, but that's to be expected, as it was manufactured in mid/late 2013. But it's not a 3500, it's a 2500.

Ok now we can narrow this down now. Your truck originally came with the calibration:
    DO90001.14 32370031AM 2013 D2 DJ 6.7L 68RFE 50S

It now has
    DO90008.05 32370231AI 2014 D2 DJ 6.7L 68RFE 50S

That may or may not be interchangable (I am not sure sorry).

The latest factory stock update for your truck is
    DO90001.17 32370031AW 2013 D2 DJ 6.7L 68RFE 50S <<< Click to Download

If you wanted to download that and flash it and see how the trans behaves, but I'll say it again, this isn't going to run nice at all given your truck is far from stock but it might help as a starting point to fault find on the transmission.

Cheers,
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by MrsS1 View Post
    Hi Ross,
    Thanks for the reply, sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. For some reason, I couldn't log in.
    It is indeed a 68RFE, which was recently rebuilt: new torque converter, solenoid, pressure sensor, valvebody. E/C part number is 05290174. The truck isn't technically in limp mode, though it's definitely acting similarly. I realize EFI doesn't actually provide custom tunes for deleted vehicles, hence this tune coming from Anarchy. Unfortunately, despite calling and emailing a number of times, we've been unable to get in contact with anyone from Anarchy. On top of that, it looks like the EPA has really cracked down on the emissions stuff and a number of companies have completely removed any and all products/info from their websites. After doing my best to research the issues online, plus poking around in the EFI software while plugged into the truck, the only solution I can seem to see is to flash the truck back to stock, then flash the custom tune in again, hoping it takes properly this time. I'm wondering if there is a way to look at the tune itself, to see if perhaps it's faulty, or has incorrect parameters set up? Again, I'm learning as I go here, so I really appreciate any help. Just in case it matters, here's the rest of the ECM info I got from the EFI scan ->
    Calibration ID: 32370231AI
    Operating System: 52140204
    Data Software: 05150521AC
    Boot Software: 00000000AA
    Cal Verification: $B72BD66F
    Have you confirmed that the reseller on e-bay is actually an authorized Anarchy reseller? Anarchy normally has a pretty good reputation for responding to questions. There are lots of people selling items that are miss represented and that could be your issue with getting Anarchy to respond. IF Anarchy DOES NOT allow anyone to sell their products on E-bay and you tell them that you bought it from E-bay, that could immediately throw up a red flag for them as being a fake or stolen tune.
    Duane

2008 Ram 3500 QuadCab
    Hamilton 110# Springs & HD Pushrods, ARP 2000s, EFILive, SB 3250 DD

Thank you for the tune, genuinely appreciate it. We completely understand that the truck won’t necessarily run great with the stock tune back in, but yes, it’s a starting point. Mahalo Nui Loa!

Quote Originally Posted by KhakiCummins View Post
    Have you confirmed that the reseller on e-bay is actually an authorized Anarchy reseller? Anarchy normally has a pretty good reputation for responding to questions. There are lots of people selling items that are miss represented and that could be your issue with getting Anarchy to respond. IF Anarchy DOES NOT allow anyone to sell their products on E-bay and you tell them that you bought it from E-bay, that could immediately throw up a red flag for them as being a fake or stolen tune.
    The thought definitely occurred to me, and that may in fact be the case. I don’t know how we would find out if the seller is authorized, so I can’t say for sure. Still, even if it is an unauthorized tune, I would hope Anarchy would, at the very least, respond to let us know. Even if just to say “Sorry, we can’t help you because you have an unauthorized tune.” Plus, wouldn’t they want to know which seller on eBay was profiting off stolen tech?