Thread: Issue Logging Intake Valve Temp & Calculated AFR BEN with E38

Default Issue Logging Intake Valve Temp & Calculated AFR BEN with E38

Hi all,

I've been running into an issue lately, I was able to spend a little time with it today trying to troubleshoot what was going on. I have two problems as follows:

1. In V7.5 and V8, I cannot log intake valve temp from my 2016 Chevy SS manual transmission, E38, OS 12658778.
    2. I am using an analog wideband O2 sensor. In V8, I have tried using existing AFR and BEN PIDs, and my own AFR and BEN PIDs. The BENs stay at 1 the entire log. It works fine in V7.5.

I'm not sure if either issue is related to a recent update, I've been moving from the LS1B controller to the E38 recently, so the intake valve PID is new to me. I do suspect there's a bug with V8 scanning causing the BEN factor to stay at 1, although I could be mistaken. I have attached my tune in case any information from that will help. I did find an old thread where a software update caused some issues with logging PIDs for the E38, but the fix was simply fixing the bug and updating the software.

If there is any information I can provide, or any tests I can perform to help troubleshoot, please let me know.

Thank you!

2020 12 26 - 2016 Chevy SS M6 - 1.ctz

I did some more testing with this, I found a couple odd things.

For the V7.5 scanning, I found the following:
    - When logging, the Data tab shows N/A for intake valve temp and injector temp. However, it does record data that shows in my Charts.
    - Intake valve temp and injector temp appear to be very inaccurate, and the values are identical for both E38 PIDs. I recorded the E40 and E67 versions of these PIDs, one of which was the same as the E38 but the other was different.

For the V8 scanning, I found the following:
    - No data is recorded for injector or intake valve temp. It cannot be seen in Charts or Data.
    - The issue with my wideband BEN calculated PID seems to arise when I add divide my recorded wideband AFR by my commanded AFR. When I divide by pid("ECM.AFRATIO_M") or simply 14.498, the value stays at 1. Although, if you look at the chart, it appears to be something other than 1.

I have attached a V7.5 log, V8 log, and a screenshot of the wideband factor issue with a red arrow and circle showing what appears to be a mismatch in information being displayed by EFILive.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

2020 12 29 - SS IBC to Body Outfitters.efi
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12 30 BEN issue.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	387.4 KB 
ID:	23618
    2020 12 30 SS V8.pld

My dumb self figured out why my BEN wasn't working in V8. I had a precision of 2 setup for the calculated PID, but it defaulted to -1 in the charts and 0 in the maps. Changed the precision in my chart and map and now my BEN PID is working correctly, although I don't see a way to change that on the data page. Not a huge deal, although that threw me for a loop. Still having issues with the injector temp and intake valve temp.

Lifetime Member

I have a 2017 camaro ss. How do you log intake valve temp? I cant find a pid for that

You might not have a PID for intake valve temp in your ECM.

If you're using V7.5, look at all your PIDs, make sure you can see all of them, not just supported. Then click on the "Units" header to sort all the PIDs by units. Scroll down until you find degrees C, and look in that grouping for any intake valve temps.

If you're using V8, you can search for "int" and you should see a few PIDs, one or two of them will be intake valve temp. You might not see any if your ECM doesn't support the PID.

If you find any of these PIDs, you'll want to plug in and try logging data for them. It seems like all of the intake valve temp PIDs I try logging give data that does not make sense, either too high, too low, or invalid.

Sorry I somehow missed this thread.

Good you figured out precision