View Poll Results: Would you like a tuning tutorial for EFI Live?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

59 76.62%
  • NO

18 23.38%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple yes or no...would you like a tuning tutorial for EFI Live?

I don't think it's a matter of wanting or not wanting to do it...
    it's a matter of lack of manpower (who's going to do it...?).

I think more important than knowing "how", is knowing "why" you make a change.

Having a guide that has perhaps 20 steps that someone brainlessly follows doesn't really help anyone. There are probably very few things that will work out the same on every persons combo.

If a person just want to get a car tuned they may as well just take it to a shop, hand over the money and be done with it.

People need to understand what effect the change they are making might have on other parts of their tune.

Most people don't buy a hammer and make their first project building a house. People would be well advised to spend a good deal of time looking at the stickys in the section of this and other forums and get an appreciation for what other people have done, both good and bad.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Tordne

Having a guide that has perhaps 20 steps that someone brainlessly follows doesn't really help anyone. There are probably very few things that will work out the same on every persons combo.

If a person just want to get a car tuned they may as well just take it to a shop, hand over the money and be done with it.

People need to understand what effect the change they are making might have on other parts of their tune.

Most people don't buy a hammer and make their first project building a house. People would be well advised to spend a good deal of time looking at the stickys in the section of this and other forums and get an appreciation for what other people have done, both good and bad.
    Yes, I agree with this.

I don’t think people are looking for 20 brainless steps to tune an engine.
    Most people like myself have probably scoured the forums and read all the information they could find.
    The information we are after is more like "what are the basic procedures to follow in some logical format" and if we have problems with this process we can ask the forums for help.
    Why do we need to reinvent the wheel each time? It's just crazy.
    It would probably take quite a load off you guys.

Regards,

Neil.

I agree with the reasons of some of the others who said no. Tuning is about knowing why a change has a certain reaction... which really cannot be explained through a tutorial... it is a trial and error ordeal. The totorial can tell you to raise up the Desired Airflow values... but until you understand what happened when you changed them... you really haven't learned anything.

There is no tutorial for OS 5, did that stop me and some others from installing it and playing with the new TPvsRPM table? Nope. Do I have a better understanding of what the table does because I had to actually sit down on my own and figure it out. I would've learned nothing if I had just sat down and read a tutorial which told me step-by-step to set up a map, populate it with X, X, and X pids, and then copy/paste&multiply.

There is a plethora of information available already on the internet to get you started on tuning... the simple fact in the end though is that some people have the ability to tune... and others just simply do not. Just like everything else in life.

I personally would rather see the guys at EFI Live utilize their resources to further develop the software and hardware interfaces to provide a more powerful TOOL, than to spend those resources teaching every shadetree-tuner how to make their car idle.
    2001 Arctic White Pontiac Firebird Formula M6
    LME 408, AFR small bore 225s, TSP 248/254 .622/.612 114+2 cam, FAST 90mm intake/NW 90mm TB, TR 1 3/4" headers, SLP Dual/Dual catback, Spec 3i clutch, 3.73 Motive Gears, EFILive Custom OS 5

I can’t believe how many people don’t want tutorials.

Any halfway decent tutorial will describe why they're changing what they are. I don't see that as a good reason not to do anything in the first place. I would rather have something rather than nothing.

I agree that the "why" is as important, if not more important than the "how", but who says the "why" can't be included in the tutorial?

To you guys that tune for a living, sorry but software like this is made to make the job of tuning easy. Eventually it’ll be easy enough that a half brain monkey can do it. Your trade secrets will be coded into the push of a button in future releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Tordne

you still dont get it .. you have to know "how" first then the "why" would be alot easyer to understand......

hey man i sent ya my radix truck tune its still not downloadable..

Quote Originally Posted by 5.3
    hey man i sent ya my radix truck tune its still not downloadable..
    Really? I'm sure I added it, it was a modified tune wasn't it, and FI tune. Are you sure it isn't this one http://www.holdencrazy.com/EFILive/b...t/00000014.tun? the description is Radix Supecharger.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
    To you guys that tune for a living, sorry but software like this is made to make the job of tuning easy. Eventually it’ll be easy enough that a half brain monkey can do it. Your trade secrets will be coded into the push of a button in future releases.
    God I hope not that will take half the fun of it away. Actually, a half brain monkey already is - me
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
    I can’t believe how many people don’t want tutorials.

Any halfway decent tutorial will describe why they're changing what they are. I don't see that as a good reason not to do anything in the first place. I would rather have something rather than nothing.

I agree that the "why" is as important, if not more important than the "how", but who says the "why" can't be included in the tutorial?

It made tuning extremely easy. Imagine if you knew how to tune (everything about it) and all you had to figure out was how to hex edit the code, after you figured out how to get it out of the PCM?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast