View Poll Results: Would you like a tuning tutorial for EFI Live?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

59 76.62%
  • NO

18 23.38%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple yes or no...would you like a tuning tutorial for EFI Live?

Quote Originally Posted by Tordne
    Really? I'm sure I added it, it was a modified tune wasn't it, and FI tune. Are you sure it isn't this one http://www.holdencrazy.com/EFILive/b...t/00000014.tun? the description is Radix Supecharger.
    Tordne thanks for a great website hope more people would share there tunes thou. its a big big help to efilive newbies too.

about my tune its the one under 05 GMC Sierra .. i dont see the download icon.

Arh. Bugger, didn't see that. I put the file in the wrong directory for the database to pick it up Thanks for noticing.

Bet you thought that the tune was too good ad I was keeping it back and going to sell it to people LOL

Started out a bit slow. Lot of people said they wanted it, but no one fronted up. Starting to get a few modified tunes now - all you others KEEP THEM COMING

Cheers,
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

just as soon as I get my laptop back, I'll be sure to send some your way

Quote Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
    I can’t believe how many people don’t want tutorials.
    It's not that most of these people don't want tutorials... the more information that is out there, the better it is for everyone.

However, I do believe the tutorials should be done by an independent party. EFILive is in the business of developing automotive tuning hardware & software. They are not in the business of teaching people how to tune.
    2001 Arctic White Pontiac Firebird Formula M6
    LME 408, AFR small bore 225s, TSP 248/254 .622/.612 114+2 cam, FAST 90mm intake/NW 90mm TB, TR 1 3/4" headers, SLP Dual/Dual catback, Spec 3i clutch, 3.73 Motive Gears, EFILive Custom OS 5

cheers mate..

Quote Originally Posted by Tordne
    God I hope not that will take half the fun of it away. Actually, a half brain monkey already is - me
    I still have my fingers crossed that it'll be that easy with V2 I should have my new laptop in a few days and can't wait to order the new EFI Live!

I guess I kinda have my blinders on in regards to tutorials. I just want more tutorials and as long as the information is good, it doesn't matter what the source is. The bigger picture is that it's good for sales to have more information published about how to use thier product.

V2 will make flashing/reading a PCM possible without a laptop, and to black box log for extended durations to a memory card. But the tuning experience will be the same.

Apparently they may integrate some stuff like diff ration changes etc. at some point in the future. But I suspect it will take significant effort from Paul/Ross to get V2 out with the currently published specifications and functionality

As for tutorials. Perhaps the best thing that we can do right now is create a sticky that someone can update with some of the really good/common threads that do exist here. I know that sometimes they are hard to find with even the most logical search criteria. But also feel free to ask a question in lieu of not being able to find something and there are people here that are happy to help. I don't think I've ever seen a post like on LS1TECH tat is a response like "search is your friend dude!"
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Quote Originally Posted by TAQuickness
    It made tuning extremely easy. Imagine if you knew how to tune (everything about it) and all you had to figure out was how to hex edit the code, after you figured out how to get it out of the PCM?
    That would be the easy part.

My $.02 ...

- due to liability reasons, even with a proper disclaimer, I figure EFILive as developer of the software is probably a bad (legal) "person" to officially offer the tutorial. Link to it, yes, maybe even endorse it, but not be the publisher

- I do believe that contrary to some less complex things (like, e.g., computers [yeah, right, less complex *gg*]), an "out of the box perfect tune" via HowTo/Tutorial will not work. OK, maybe if you do one for a certain car, model year, and setup, another car with more or less identical data might end up with a good tune via HowTo, but change anything mayor, like Cam or the likes, and there will most likely be things you can't possibly think off without actually seeing any logged data

So, what to do? Nothing?

Well, no, at least not IMHO ...

Apart from the good manual about the EFILive software, it definitely would be nice to put a manual/book together on how to use EFILive in tuning your car - that includes simple steps on what to do, and in which sequence, to get your first basic tune done. Then go in deeper, with explainations on what to do and why (as mentioned in this thread before). SOme of the knowledgable people here could add some insight about the deeper workings of all the figures, and how they come together to make the motor run smoothly or sh*tty, and how to firgure out WTF you did wrong on that last tune

From reading this forum over the last couple of weeks, I must say there is a great wealth of information here - but finding what you need, especially if you're a newby to the area of tuning, is pretty hard. And it leads to questions being asked over and over again. Some out of lazyness, some because the folks just don't know what to actually look for, therefore not being able to find it with the search function ...

So, what does that lead up to?

Well, I guess something like a "Tunipedia" or "Wikitunia" or something Ringram already started out a document, if folks could add knowledge to it instead of answering the questions in the forum (but of course point the people asking towards the Wiki), we'd end up with a great source of knowledge.

Will this hurt professional tuners?

Possibly - but then, most folks who are going to go through all the trouble of reading how-tos, getting the professional software to actually do the tune themselves, etc. most likely would not go to a tuner. As someone else here mentioned - they might instead go do another software instead that offers "easy" tutorials.

Hm ... guess I'm up to something like $0.04 or $0.05 already, but hey ...
    Garry Glendown * '17 Fifty 2SS MT * 99 Firehawk Convertible (for sale)

Great post Garry...

I think perhaps a WIKI is a good idea. And I can probably host it on my server with the tune repository if this is seen as a good start.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast