Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linking Scan Tool To Editor

I agree with your second image it should be captioned with SAE.MAP or MAP:BARO Ratio with units in kPA not ECM.AFRATIO_M.

Thanks.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ninety8C5 View Post
    I agree with your second image it should be captioned with SAE.MAP or MAP:BARO Ratio with units in kPA not ECM.AFRATIO_M.

Thanks.
    AFRATIO is automatically shown as the linked PID because that was the only PID in the log file with units that matched the axis units.
    I.e. the axis has units of :1 and the AFRATIO PID has units of :1 so V8 tried to be "clever" and assumed that since both values are using units of ":1" then they can be linked - that's not accurate. However there is no trivial way for the V8 software to know that, since it is only using the units to make that decision.

If you didn't have AFRATIO as a selected PID then it would not automatically show up as the linked PID.
    If you had another PID with units of :1 (i.e. a calculated PID that computed BARO/MAP) then neither PID would be auto-selected and you would have to select one of AFRATIO or that calculated PID from the drop down list.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Okay, I think I got it ! I changed my Calculated PID from 'factor' to ':1'. Now it is an option in the drop down box in V8 Editor for that Table and it seems to track with the Scan Tool file.

[VVE]
    MAP_BARO="Calculated MAP-BAROMETER RATIO",:1,3

Thank you for explaining how V8 Editor works, it might come in handy for another Table.

Sorry I took so much of your time,
    Walter

Would this work:

in the V7 calc_pids.txt file, change the units of the MAP:BARO pid from "factor" to ":1".

I just tried that and the PID does not show up in the V7 Scan Tool. it looks like it doesn't like the :1 in the file. The V8 Calculated PID works great with "factor" changed to ":1" for E92 ECM's, but it won't work for the other "Exx" ECM's because the VVE table is looking for "kPa". I built two different PIDs for the V8 Scanner. I had a scan file and tune file for an E38 and it worked. I don't have access to the other (E82,etc.) ECM's.

[VVE]
    MAP_BARO_E92="Calculated MAP-BAROMETER RATIO_E92",:1,3
    MAP_BARO_Exx="Calculated MAP-BAROMETER RATIO_Exx",kPa,3

[VVE.MAP_BARO_E92]
    0=|-- VVE.MAP_BARO_E92
    1=|return pid("ECM.MAP.kPa")/pid("ECM.BARO.kPa");

[VVE.MAP_BARO_Exx]
    0=|-- VVE.MAP_BARO_Exx
    1=|return pid("ECM.MAP.kPa")/pid("ECM.BARO.kPa");

I hope that helps.
    Last edited by Ninety8C5; March 10th, 2021 at 10:02 AM.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

The calculated PID is only required for the E92 - since there is no actual PID to provide the axis lookup value MAP/BARO as a ratio.
    For the other controller types that use kPa for the axis, just use the SAE.MAP PID directly as the axis lookup value.

Note: the V7 scan and tune tool don't care about the units of the PID or the axis, you can put whatever link PID you want in the link file - however, you have to take care that the PID and the axis are displayed using the same units.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

+1 what Paul said, for E38/E67 there is no need to use MAP:BARO pid as a link pid.

For V7, shouldn't the :1 be in quotes, i.e. ":1"...?

I tried the ":1", but V7 Scan Tool doesn't seem to like it. After trying several different inputs instead of "factor" (:1,eqratio) the only thing V7 likes is "factor". The only PID's that show":1" in V7 are DMA PID's.

I didn't know about the link PID for the E38/E67, I "assumed". My Bad for assuming.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12