Thread: Where to learn about CAX files?

Default Where to learn about CAX files?

As the title states, is there any guidance material anywhere on how to make CAX files? I was provided one to see one parameter I was interested in - nothing crazy but I'm thankful for it. So naturally I wanted to see what would happen if I changed the name and see if it would work for another file that should contain the same parameter. Not surprisingly, it seems to work but shows some errors when it loads. So is there anywhere for someone to learn about CAX files who knows very little about this part of tuning?

Thanks in advance,

In the most simple terms it is a user created file, the file will reference a value/values in the binary and the EFI-Live Software, if you configured the data correctly will display that value/values and make it editable inside of the software tuning program.

Be aware that just because its a certain controller family, take for example the LB7 model diesel, there are many OS's based on Year and OS, so if you map out a specific value/values in say a 2001 OS, that same value/values may or may not be in the 2002 or 2003 or 2004 OS, and if that same value/values, or tables as they are referred to sometimes does exist in other year OS's, the error you get may be out of range, etc, because that table at that address in the other year/OS in that binary is actually not at the same address, and may be a different table or a set of values that overlaps an existing table that EFI-Live already displays.

You also have to be sure that whatever table you are trying to display has the proper factor applied to it, and any offset, lots of reading on hex, decimal, and how the data needs to be configured 8 bit, 16bit, 32bit Hi-Lo...........the process is not easy.

If you do not create a correct .CAX file the software may not even load the .ctz file.

Good Luck
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

You have to already know the address, word size, whether it's signed/unsigned, whether it's integer, or fixed/floating point of the object in your particular OS.

GMC-2002-Dmax said it best.

Thanks guys