Hi all,

I've been perusing the forums here, and I have a question that maybe someone here can help answer.

I'm in the process of swapping a 2007 Dodge Cummins 5.9L into a 1970 Ford F250. I'm planning to do a full drivetrain swap, including the 48RE and transfer case. I've run into a question I haven't really found an answer to (not many people swapping the 06-07 CR's?). I've been thinning the factory wire harness, and I'm curious if it is possible for the OBD port to work without the TIPM...or do I need to keep it? Can EFI Live talk directly to the Cummins ECM?

I ask because I've been looking through wiring and CAN diagrams, and it seems that the CAN C-diagnostic is contained/comes from the TIPM module. I'm sure the Cummins ECM will run the engine without the TIPM, but would I be able to talk to it with EFI Live? Would I be able to pull diagnostic trouble codes without TIPM?

This may be a silly conversation - I'm just trying to get rid of the TIPM since it serves almost no purposes in my build. It's just a very large box that I have to fit somewhere. I know the Painless harness for earlier years has an OBD port without the TIPM, but the diagrams for CAN system seem...different.

I've heard answers in both directions, but I'm not convinced that I've gotten a solid answer yet. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!