Thread: 07 SKIM Delete - Fail

Default 07 SKIM Delete - Fail

Good morning,

I'm in the middle of swapping a stock '07 Dodge Cummins from a 2500 into a 1970 F250, and have been working on thinning/modifying the wire harness. I'm trying to eliminate the SKIM module, and I'm not having much luck so far. Here's what I've done:

- Download stock tune using Flashscan V3 & V8 Scan & Tune
    - Edit file to Disable E6510 Vehicle Anti Theft in V7.5
    - Flash modified stock tune using V8
    - Unplug SKIM module

This resulted in a no start condition with the vehicle security light on. Started immediately after plugging the SKIM module back in. After reading a ton online, it sounded like I needed to eliminate the SKIM module first, so...next attempt:

- Did everything the same, but unplugged the SKIM module before re-flashing

Still a no start condition after the flash, security light on. When I download the tune from the ECM it still shows the VAT as disabled.

What am I doing wrong here? Are there anti-theft settings elsewhere? In old threads I've seen that people were using C&C tunes in order to get around anti-theft. Is this required, or was that before EFI Live added the ability to disable it?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I've continued to work on this one, and have posted a similar question on a couple of other Cummins forums. I'm feeling like deleting SKIM is like fight club - those who know about it don't talk about it! (Possibly because it is a service people charge for?) Or, maybe most people are not doing this since they aren't swapping the Cummins into other vehicles.

I pulled another stock 2007 tune from links found elsewhere here in these forums (old tunefiledepot files). It came with the E6510 (Vehicle Anti-Theft) set to Disabled, I changed the VIN and flashed it into the truck with the SKIM module unplugged. Same results as before - no crank and security light on solid. I followed this by pulling all of the battery cables and touching them together to reset the TIPM. No change there either.

I started thinking that maybe the wiring needed to be plugged in even if the module was inactive. So, I dismantled the key and put the guts far away, plugged the SKIM module back in and it started but died 3 seconds later (typical SKIM result when the module doesn't get the right signal). Put the guts back in and it starts and runs fine.

I was under the impression that EFI Live could disable vehicle security / SKIM. If anyone can help me out here, I'd really appreciate it!

I was able to delete SKIM on CM849A no problem last year. I think I read somewhere that it was important to flash the tune with the option disabled before attempting to crank the engine with the module detached. I also have F2102 and F2145 disabled in the DTC list. That might be worth a try.
    2008 F550 6.7 swapped running CM849 ecu

Quote Originally Posted by jwolfe14 View Post
    I was able to delete SKIM on CM849A no problem last year. I think I read somewhere that it was important to flash the tune with the option disabled before attempting to crank the engine with the module detached. I also have F2102 and F2145 disabled in the DTC list. That might be worth a try.
    Thanks jwolfe14 - if I read your comment right, I think you are referring to the process for a a new ECM? I've definitely read in old threads that 'once you attach the SKIM to a new ECM, it automatically programs the ECM with the vehicle anti theft system'. Or are you referring to the process for an existing ECM?

I've still not successfully deleted the SKIM from my system, and I'm curious if there is a specific order of operations to make this work? If I am flashing an existing system that has both SKIM and a TIPM module, can someone explain the process? Do you flash the system with the SKIM module connected, then unplug it before starting the engine? Or, unplug then flash? Does the TIPM need to be reset?

I've tried a few different combinations at this point, as well as a couple of different stock tune files. No luck so far. I'm starting that for a system that has SKIM/VAT enabled there is a trick to it that I just haven't figured out yet! It does sound like this may be a non issue for me since it sounds like I can remove the TIPM entirely from the system, and vehicle anti theft is not part of the Cummins ECM at all once disabled. That leads me to think it's embedded in the TIPM. I'll start playing around again this week when I have some free time.

Thanks again!

My suggestion is to convert to manual tune and try it.
    2006 Cummins Red, Auto to Nv5600, SBC 3600, Traction Bars, Visor, Running Lights, S&B Intake, ATS intake horn, EFI Live, Borg Warner S363 Turbo, Industrial Injection Dragon Fly Injectors.

Quote Originally Posted by PDXFactory View Post
    Good morning,

I'm in the middle of swapping a stock '07 Dodge Cummins from a 2500 into a 1970 F250, and have been working on thinning/modifying the wire harness. I'm trying to eliminate the SKIM module, and I'm not having much luck so far. Here's what I've done:

- Download stock tune using Flashscan V3 & V8 Scan & Tune
    - Edit file to Disable E6510 Vehicle Anti Theft in V7.5
    - Flash modified stock tune using V8
    - Unplug SKIM module

This resulted in a no start condition with the vehicle security light on. Started immediately after plugging the SKIM module back in. After reading a ton online, it sounded like I needed to eliminate the SKIM module first, so...next attempt:

- Did everything the same, but unplugged the SKIM module before re-flashing

Still a no start condition after the flash, security light on. When I download the tune from the ECM it still shows the VAT as disabled.

What am I doing wrong here? Are there anti-theft settings elsewhere? In old threads I've seen that people were using C&C tunes in order to get around anti-theft. Is this required, or was that before EFI Live added the ability to disable it?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Any update on this to help out a fellow new member