Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: mild cam idle surge and basic settings - tune and log attached

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    Hey Roland, glad to see you're still tinkering away!

Definitely get the brake issue sorted out!!

What are the cam specs?

How does it run on the bone stock factory tune? My guess is not great with a cam (and potentially clogged cats), but wonder if there's a mechanical issue going on.
    Yes, I am still at it. In a nutshell, I have been building my '01 Z28 for 1.5 years and invested $10k but 2 months after getting it running HARDDD my good friend totalled it into a tree on a test drive at 70 mph and we both got hurt. Insurance gave me all of $7600... which I promptly spent on - no offense - the world's most broken '12 Caprice PPV 9C1 L77 / 6L80E and I am using it as a daily driver... don't ask lol.

Today's update is that after massive blind and stupid tuning revisions I still have no brakes (unrelated) and now the transmission slips bad because I foolishly reset the TAPS.
    I suppose it could take a few weeks of normal driving to relearn hopefully. The exhaust is still clogged and I will be installing a VCM OTR and a clip on wideband today. The car needs another trans and engine flush also, the 2.92 diff is finally clean.

Wish me the best you guys, I really love my sweet Holden Commodore VE (ish) a LOTTT but ***literally*** everything is broken on the car and I'm already broke having invested $3000k in emergency repairs in the last month since I've had it. FLM lol

Erik, on the factory tune it started idled and drove like ass although a) that is to be expected b) it is smooth in a way and trustworthy on the stock settings sort of.
    Then I moved on to an HSV starter file that was so kindly provided to me. That got the car starting and idling wonderfully but throttle response is an asshat and the transmission is on drugs. Since then I've gotten some more help that further significantly improved it and that is where we are. Introducing full-time E85, currently at 45% alcohol. I have wheel speed sensor and tire monitor codes that I'm saving up for so I HOPE that fixes the brake pedal feel. Thanks for everything guys

LSXceleration
    Non DOD Cam:
    #2054301 3-Bolt Stage 2.1 (218/227 .523/.523 HR112)
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

Hi Roland/Boost,

Good to hear that you and your friend are ok (from the 2001 Z28 crash).

Keep safe, get your brakes working good.

Get rid of the clogged cats right away.

Erik has a good idea to see how it runs on the stock tune.

Do you have a pic of the ECM...?

Can you give more detail/pics regarding the Aussie motor mounts...?

Also, since it was a PP, check rest of car for damage (and hidden compartments ) make sure it's safe.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Hi Roland/Boost,

Good to hear that you and your friend are ok (from the 2001 Z28 crash).

Thanks, it was a hard hit and it hurts in every way we are thankful though

Keep safe, get your brakes working good.

I have properly serviced the entire system and it has improved much, only pending thing is a LR wheel speed sensor circuit diag and repair to get all the abs lights off the dash

Get rid of the clogged cats right away.

I have fixed this issue...

Erik has a good idea to see how it runs on the stock tune.

We have tried this but runs much better on the current modified hacked tune lol

Do you have a pic of the ECM...?

It's hidden under the fuse box, pretty sure an E38 with 2 connectors sorry about the weird mixup. I will snap a pic whenever exposed but I trust the software id

Can you give more detail/pics regarding the Aussie motor mounts...?

Yes I will! They are so cool here is a link

https://holdenpartsusa.com/collectio...gine-mount-set

Also, since it was a PP, check rest of car for damage (and hidden compartments ) make sure it's safe.

Yes my friend checking and driving every day, trying to make it safer THANK YOU
    wow so much has happened since I had a chance to catch up with you guys. Still in the middle of it lol

Default latest tune and log

Since taking this log I have installed BR7EF ngk plugs gapped to .30 with MSD thick plug wires to replace TR55s gapped to .40 and crap wires

So it should behave differently with the knock gone and running more alcohol, we can have a more normalized baseline to find decent operation until all the sensors arrive for proper tuning

I have a very kind friend that I met on here (Gustavo) that has straightened out all of the shifting issues and we were able to fast forward into the street tuning stage until running into a detonation problem recently. Very impressive work and I'm truly thankful for the help

Wideband is installed, E60 and increasing %, two steps colder plugs, intake and exhaust upgraded so we are not totally blind and hopeless here.

Let me get some better quality logs now with cold plugs, seafoam done and approaching 80% ethanol. Once the wideband is sorted we should be able to smooth this poor car out

E60: make sure you calculate/lookup the stoich AFR for this and set it in the tune.

E60: make sure you calculate/lookup the stoich AFR for this and set it in the tune.
    Thank you brother. Last night I installed a set of four red polyureathane exhaust hangers while tightening up some leaks down there. Also upgraded the worn sway bar links with ACDelco Professional gold OEM pieces. More importantly managed to break loose what used to be B2S2 and moved the AEM WB there from the tailpipe sniffer.

Added some more E so we are now @ 60% alcohol. Also yesterday on my lunch break swapped out all 8 TR55s @ .40 and installed 8 BR7s @ .30
    That should help with detonation and all our cars seem to like that setting as a starting point. I know they are nitrous plugs but it's 100+ degrees here and my tune is a mess

I hope you all have a wonderful rest of your day and week, and just know that I sincerely appreciate you.

5.8 seconds to 60 MPH so far and 9.1 s @ 80 MPH short track (660) runs like a stock '96 Impala SS hahahaha! Breaking up and huffing and puffing slipping lmmfao ;D

I looked at this again and my first though would be doesn't it automatically "mix" the commanded mixture as the alcohol content swings? That was what I gathered from looking at that table (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    I looked at this again and my first though would be doesn't it automatically "mix" the commanded mixture as the alcohol content swings? That was what I gathered from looking at that table (?)
    Does your vehicle have the alcohol content sensor...? Table B3671 is indexed by the value output by the alcohol sensor.

Does your vehicle have the alcohol content sensor...? Table B3671 is indexed by the value output by the alcohol sensor.
    I believed these newer vehicles use the oxygen sensors for alcohol content they no longer use a dedicated flex fuel sensor (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    I believed these newer vehicles use the oxygen sensors for alcohol content they no longer use a dedicated flex fuel sensor (?)
    That's what they do so they don't need the alcohol content sensor.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast