Thread: Error $0333 Questions

Default Error $0333 Questions

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, as I have some questions which may all be related.

Some history first, I've used EFILive previously but it's been many years, like maybe back in 2014 so I'm basically relearning. I've since sold that V2 and the vehicle I was using it for. Since then, I've acquired a different vehicle and purchased my friends (used) V2 that still has 1 VIN license available. I'm not sure when the last time he used it was, but probably prior to 2015.

My newest project I'm attempting to use V2 on: 2002 GMC Sierra, 4.8l and 4L60E. This vehicle has a mild cam/headers/exhaust and has been previously tuned by a shop using unknown tuning software. I know little about that history. I do however believe the transmission tables or the gear ratio/tire heights are messed up in the current tune file, because it shifts at very high RPM at part throttle (hence the reason I bought the V2).

After purchasing my friends V2, I downloaded the V8 software and installed it (note: I did not download or install the V7.5). I performed the firmware check/update on the V2 through the V8 software and it is now up to date. I then went to read the tune from the GMC and attempt to license that PCM/VIN to the V2, but it's coming up with error $0333. I've searched this code and I think I can perform this procedure linked here: https://forum.efilive.com/showthread...016-Error-0333 but my question is, what if the previous tuner of that PCM has locked it? Should I just attempt to read the PCM tune first? Obviously I don't want to waste a license on a PCM that could be scrap to me, so I'm not sure how to proceed. Since all this, I have downloaded the V7.5 and installed it but that is where I'm at now.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Last edited by M Hankel; July 11th, 2021 at 04:11 AM.

So if I were to perform the fix that Blacky and Joecar suggested in the link above, should I use V7.5 or V8?

Mike

Update time.

So I took the truck to my friend and tuner. He was not able to connect to the PCM through the ALDL port either, using his HPTuners. So, I thought perhaps the previous owner who had it tuned, maybe locked the PCM/Tune from accessing it. I had my own tuner flash a different PCM with a stock tune and OS for that truck. I get the new PCM installed and I still can not connect to the PCM via the ALDL port. I know my tuner did not lock the tune. But then I started remembering that the previous owner installed an aftermarket auto start with remote control. Would that be preventing me from communicating with the PCM? I have no idea what brand the auto start is, or the foggiest idea of how to disable/remove it. Does it somehow tap into the PCM wiring somewhere?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mike

OK, well I feel like I'm talking to myself in here.... Hello... (cricket sounds.....)

For anyone doing a search on this error code, the aftermarket Viper Remote Start module was causing all of this. I located the Viper unit black box and disconnected the wire harnesses leading to it, reconnected the vehicle battery, and it started up with the ignition key. Next I attempted to read the PCM with success. I even licensed the PCM with EFILive and I'm back in business.

Mike

You aren't talking to yourself, plenty of us follow along. Some crapola is hard to diagnose without being there. You logically found the problem, good job

Quote Originally Posted by In-Tech View Post
    You aren't talking to yourself, plenty of us follow along. Some crapola is hard to diagnose without being there. You logically found the problem, good job
    Good to know and I agree about some things being difficult over a forum. I just remembered this being a little more interactive, but that was over a decade ago, when forums ruled over social media.

Yes, I feel ya. Dramabook and the other social crap I am not involved with. This is still a good forum of a lot of great people.

I'm reading along...

edit: Use V8.
    Last edited by joecar; July 21st, 2021 at 08:15 PM.

Good job on finding the cause