Thread: Duramax tuning with V3

Default Duramax tuning with V3

I just got a 2006 Duramax truck that was totalled so that I can install the engine etc into my 2003 Suburban. I have no experience with EFILive, but have worked with HPTuners for a couple years, so I was not expecting any issues.

Now I am a little confused because I have seen posts asking about GM support on the V3 interface. Unfortunately I didn't see those posts before I purchased a V3 with the GM tuning package. Am I going to have issues being able to tune this new engine?

Well, my tuner showed up in the mail, so I figured I would share if anyone reads this later. I hate searching old posts and seeing my question followed up with "Nevermind, figured it out" and no explanation....

It appears the V3 device will work just fine tuning the LBZ, with one downside. Because it has a DSP5 tune it is not capable of reading the existing tune. Since I bought the truck at an insurance auction there would be very little chance of being able to track down whoever installed the current tune. My only option appears that I have to start with a fresh stock tune and go from there.

It is kind of a bummer because I was hoping to get an idea of what has been done to the vehicle based on how the tune was built, or at least a starting platform to work from.
    2003 Suburban 2500 LBZ powered DSP5 100+

Lifetime Member

FlashScan V3 with the GM Tuning Option was released about 6 months ago and is available for purchase on our website.

DSP is a custom operating system written by EFILive to perform non-factory functions (ie add switchable tuning). Unfortunately their isn't enough readable memory space in the ECM to take our custom operating system, but to make it work we found some non-readable space. A result of that is DSP tune files cannot be read, regardless of the hardware used (ie, this is not a restriction of V3).

Even if a standard OS was installed, if the vehicle had been previously tuned it is likely the tuner would have locked the file - essentially preventing you from reading their work anyway.

You will need to find a stock tune, suited to your vehicle and build any modified tune from that file.

Cheers
    Cindy

Ok, seeing as how I need to start with a new base tune. I have been able to find a stock LBZ tune, how do I upgrade that tune to utilize DSP5? Again, coming from the HPTuners world you had the ability to "upgrade" to a custom OS within the software. Is this like that or do I just need to start with a DSP5 tune that was created?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Markmx6 View Post
    Ok, seeing as how I need to start with a new base tune. I have been able to find a stock LBZ tune, how do I upgrade that tune to utilize DSP5? Again, coming from the HPTuners world you had the ability to "upgrade" to a custom OS within the software. Is this like that or do I just need to start with a DSP5 tune that was created?

Just follow the step by step instructions in the DSP user guide. https://download.efilive.com/Tutoria...er%20Guide.pdf
    You may also find the general GM Diesel user guide helpful https://content.efilive.com/document...er%20Guide.pdf

Both guides are linked above and you can also find these in your V8 software build, however they were recently updated so the June 2021 software will contain earlier versions of these documents.

Cheers
    Cindy

Thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for.