Thread: connecting to vehicle

Default connecting to vehicle

i havent use efilive for over 2 years, so im a bit out of touch.

trying to read dtc codes on a vehicle i never used efilive on (08 c6zo6). there is still an unused license left. i cant connect to vehicle, it sais "no interface cable found". some stupid mistake probably im making?

Lifetime Member

Ensure your V2 appears in the Windows Device Manager, if not try a new USB cable or a different PC. Does it properly boot up when connected to just your PC? Check for power on your vehicle's DTC port, GM usually uses the cigarette lighter circuit so look for that fuse and ensure it's not blown.

You do not need a license to read DTCs/controllers or log, just when you flash a controller for the first time.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

thanks. i tried again last weekend and it worked. same car, same hardware, same setup, same procedure. no idea what the problem was.

question: the v2-box would not display any codes. the notebook found several codes. i deleted them and then it displayed none. does that mean the v2-box somehow shows the current codes only?

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

You need to install the DTC description files (*.dtx files) on your V2 device. You can do that using the V8 software [F5: BBX]
    Click [Read] to read the current black box setup on your V2 - there may be nothing setup yet, that's OK.
    Select [F5: DTCs], then tick all the boxes that you want to include descriptions for.
    Then click [Program] to program the selected DTC description files to your V2.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    You need to install the DTC description files (*.dtx files) on your V2 device. You can do that using the V8 software [F5: BBX]
    Click [Read] to read the current black box setup on your V2 - there may be nothing setup yet, that's OK.
    Select [F5: DTCs], then tick all the boxes that you want to include descriptions for.
    Then click [Program] to program the selected DTC description files to your V2.

Regards
    Paul
    Sorry, I miss-read your post, I thought you were saying the V2 device wasn't showing the DTC descriptions. This reply only addresses the DTC descriptions not showing up.

Your V2 device has 4 different options for showing DTCs:
    - Current emissions code
    - Pending emissions codes
    - Current enhanced codes
    - All enhanced codes (includes codes that are pending)

Each option may show a different set (or no) codes.

Permanent DTC codes were introduced by CARB/EPA after V2 was designed and V2 does not recognize/display them.
    The V8 software has an additional option that shows permanent codes, maybe those were the codes that you saw in the V8 software but not on the V2 device.
    V3 devices will show permanent codes.

However, you can't clear permanent codes, they will only be cleared if the ECM runs the test for that code and the test passes.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

And only select/program the GM or Chrysler DTC's (whichever matches your vehicles).

got it, thanks.

Note that FS can read DTC's from all the modules connected to the CAN bus.