Thread: 6.7 Standalone CM2200 Install

Default 6.7 Standalone CM2200 Install

I'm starting this thread for anyone with questions about trying to make a 6.7 Cummins run in a standalone application. I have been asked a few questions on the CM2200 bench harness thread but I think it is better to start a new thread to discuss things beyond what that original thread was for. I installed a 6.7 using a CM2200 into 92 F350. I also used a 2006 Allison with A40 TCM. The Allison TCM communicates through J1939 network on the CM2200. I currently do any tuning that the Allison needs with EFILive and use a CSP5 tune that I purchased from a local tuner for the engine. I have put over 45,000 miles on the truck since the install. Daily driving and fairly heavy towing is what I use the truck for. I'll try to help anyone with questions they may have doing a standalone install. I know when I started researching how to wire a standalone CM2200 there wasn't much out on the forums including this one. I am now in the beginning stages of tuning the engine myself.

Hello nice thread. I have a 2012 6.7 Cummins with a g56 swapped into my 1995 f350. So far I have started it but it only runs for a couple seconds. Wiring on my connector
    Pin 2 ground
    Pin 3 fused 12v
    Pin 4 ground
    Pin 5 fused 12v
    Pin 6 ground
    Pin 18 can low
    Pin 35 can high
    Pin 70 key on 12v
    Pin 71 key on 12v
    Also have my accelerator pedal working too.
    I’m wondering if it could be something in the tune making it shut off.

In my experience that wiring is only enough to recognize the ECM and program it. Do you have anything else wired into the ECM? Fuel pump relay, crank sensor, cam sensor ect? There is also an ASD relay (Automatic Shut down Relay) that looks for signals from a few engine sensors simultaneously. If those sensors aren't recognized the ASD relay shuts everything down. I don't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure I bypassed this relay so it wouldn't be a problem. Are you using any other components from the 2012 truck, like the TIPM?

It has all the sensors in the other harness but no other relays no other modules nothing else but the ecm. I have a fass 260 but I run it key on. How do you have pin 70 ran? It’s pink/white and labeled off/run/start.
    Last edited by SwaneyBuilt; September 27th, 2021 at 08:49 AM.

I'll have to pull out my wiring notes tomorrow. I think pin 71 goes through your brake pedal switch. In a factory setup you press the brake pedal and that would trigger a relay. If I remember correctly I bypassed the brake pedal and tied 70 and 71 to a single key on relay. I'll confirm that for you tomorrow. I'm pretty sure you will need to wire the fuel pump relay circuit to then power up your fass. The way you have it now the ECM doesn't know that there is power going to the fuel pump. When you have that circuit properly wired the ECM will turn power on to the pump at key on and after a few seconds it will then cutoff power. Then as soon as you crank the starter that circuit realizes a need for fuel and will regulate the fuel system. I'd start there if you don't have it wired that way. I used ALLDATA for my wiring diagrams.

Pin A3 on my brake pedal switch is IGNITION RUN/START CONTROL OUTPUT that does end up triggering switched 12v to Pin 71 on the gray connector. As I said earlier I have pin 70 and 71 switched 12V to ECM. Have you looked at the Fuel pump control wiring yet? My notes show that I have Pin B25 from ECM going to a relay I wired up for powering my Air dog. The B25 sends a ground to Pin 86 on my standard automotive relay. That ground signal completes the relay to allow power to the Air dog or in your case the FASS fuel pump. You also have to make sure Pin A29 Fuel quantity Control and Pin A46 Fuel Quantity Solenoid 12 Volt Supply are getting proper signals. Those are the two wires that go to your CP3 pump. You also need to confirm that the sensors are getting voltage to make them operate. The MAF sensor gets its voltage from the ASD relay circuit. If that s not hooked up then no voltage will be sent to the MAF. Pretty sure the truck won't run without a functioning MAF sensor. There's a few things for you to check out.

So I ended up pulling the cm2200 off the truck and I know have it running on a cm849. Main reason I did it was for high rpm fueling and simplicity but thanks man

Glad you got it running that's what matters. I don't know as much about that ECM but have heard they are easier to get working. I chose the CM2200 because originally I was going to put 68RFE behind the 6.7 and that was going to be the easiest way to do it. I had the Allison already in the truck and kept it. I found out during the swap that the Allison would communicate with the CM2200 for throttle position. That was a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by s4door View Post
    Glad you got it running that's what matters. I don't know as much about that ECM but have heard they are easier to get working. I chose the CM2200 because originally I was going to put 68RFE behind the 6.7 and that was going to be the easiest way to do it. I had the Allison already in the truck and kept it. I found out during the swap that the Allison would communicate with the CM2200 for throttle position. That was a plus.
    So your Allison TCM works perfectly through j1939? How do you tune the Allison TCM.? How has it been since?

Yes Allison works through J1939 on my CM2200. I tune it with EFILive. I have a separate OBDII port for the Allison TCM. Pretty sure the only thing it communicates is throttle position. I have the torque management shut off in EFILive for the TCM. You have to use a medium duty TCM for it to work. Jason at transmissiontuner would be able to help you with that.