Thread: reductant quality test

Default reductant quality test

reductant quality test

any chance we can have this option added to the DVT controls for the newer duramaxs with the DEF?

having an issue with one derated down to 4 mph and saying DEF quality low. fluid was replaced. tank washed, sensors cleaned and verified to be working. nozzle cleaned and working, etc but no way to get it to check the quality again without towing it to the dealership or driving a bunch at 4 mph. not going to happen. there are options for doing service regens, testing DEF pump, leaking nozzle, reset Nox sensor, etc but not for DEF quality

is it possible to add this feature that the Tech 2 and some other scanners have to the DVT controls?
    2008 Chevrolet 3500HD DRW LTZ
    285/75/17 Nitto Dura Grapplers, 4.56 gears, Front and rear ARB lockers, Efi Live tuning by me, Raptor 160 LP, Cognito 4-6 NTB Lift, 4" Exhaust, Built Trans by Mike L.

Sold - 2004 LB7 Duramax, EFI Live with DSP5 Tune
    stage 4 SC transmission, 265/70/16 tires

Out of interest, if you click the "Reductant Tank Level Reset" option does that also reset the DEF quality ? It might be a multi purpose function that does reset the calculations.
    Also, what DTC's does the ECM set when in this limp mode?
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I did not try that one. I wasn't sure what that one did and based on the description it sounded like it would rescale the level sensor to a new value and create a new problem. I'll have to give it a try as I can always do it again with the tank full if thats what it actually does.

the codes are P20EE, P249D & P2BAD

I don't have a Tech 2 but did find a video of someone using one to do this test and the option selected was labeled "F0: Reductant Fluid Quality Test". I also saw that there was additional options for pump, nozzle, leak, etc testing which EfiLive has. I didn't see any labeled for tank level so now you have me wandering if EfiLive just has it mislabeled.

from my understanding it is supposed to raise the RPMs up to 1900 and watch the two Nox sensors. it then injects some DEF and looks at the readings. if it's satisfied with what it sees it will clear theDEF low quality message on the dash. if not then it aborts the test and returns "failed"
    285/75/17 Nitto Dura Grapplers, 4.56 gears, Front and rear ARB lockers, Efi Live tuning by me, Raptor 160 LP, Cognito 4-6 NTB Lift, 4" Exhaust, Built Trans by Mike L.

Quote Originally Posted by LB72004 View Post
    from my understanding it is supposed to raise the RPMs up to 1900 and watch the two Nox sensors. it then injects some DEF and looks at the readings. if it's satisfied with what it sees it will clear theDEF low quality message on the dash. if not then it aborts the test and returns "failed"
    That sounds like a complex process that TechII runs (maybe like a script type thing), unfortunately our DVT functions are not able to perform tasks like that.
    When we rebuilt the DVT functions for V8 we added in every possible function we could determine, so I'm not sure what more we can do for this 'Reductant Fluid Quality Test', unless we did misunderstand what the ECM is doing and have mislabelled one of the DVT buttons.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I gave it a try and it did nothing but return "OK"

tried several times. no go

I'm guessing it is a function not to dissimilar to the service regeneration that you do have as an option that I've tried and it works. wether that is a script or a command I have no clue.

Found out one of our Relatives has a Launch V431X+ that had the appropriate test and that was able to satisfy the computer and clear the message

still would be nice to have this available in the DVT controls

Quote Originally Posted by LB72004 View Post
    still would be nice to have this available in the DVT controls
    Yeah I can appreciate that, but we've added everything in we know how to add in.