Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heads up for FAST 90/90 owners.

Default Heads up for FAST 90/90 owners.

As some of you know I have been going through a lot of trial and tribulation with my setup since I put my car away for the winter about 9 months ago. Prior to that I installed a ported FAST90/NW90 in addition to rephasing my cam andhaving the heads milled to -.030". I had previously had an LS6 and ported 75mm tb on the car. It ran ok before I put it away, but upon taking it down it ran awful, wouldn't idle, would stall, etc. I had lot's of problems and tried as many fixes.
    ---
    I had stopped scratching my head and asked for ideas on this forum. ONe of the suggestions was to put it back to SD and re-scan due to the possibility of the MAF masking some issue. I did that and retuned my VE table, to a point. Yesterday I booked time on a Mustang dyno so I could do real world loading on the car and drove it on the dyno to set up my VE table without worrying about the LEO's coming down on me. I found that my VE table was still out of cal quite a bit and got it tuned in with 2 runs to fill the tables. It toolk about 1 hour of driving and tuning to do this. Then I plugged the MAF back in and re-tuned that to the VE table. That took about 15 minutes. Then I did a bonzai WOT throttle run from 1000 to red-line in 4th for PE. That got my AFR nailed in.
    ---
    The long story short, the car is amazing. It runs BETTER than stock. It idles with just a hint of lope, doesn't stall at all, has great throttle response, and is awesome at WOT. LTFT'd are withink 0 to -2% for now, more driving needed, but all I can say is I like my car again. I'm even taking the wife for a drive later today. The hell with the gas prices. I'm making ~30mpg with 4.10's .
    ---
    This is just a thank you to the guys on the forum that helped with all the suggestions and ideas. Also, it's validation for the REQUIREMENT to have a solid VE table as the basis for your tune. What happened was I didn't redo the VE table after the FAST 90/90, and assumed the change would be linear and therefore could be compensated for with RAF adjustment. WRONG!
    ---
    I'm still very new to this, but I learned an awful lot by having gone through this last tuning experience, probably more than I should have, but that is the bonus from having a tool like EFILive.
    Thanks again EFILive and the forum.

Go:LPE 403, VaraRam, Haltech, PowerMax 100mm MAF, Tony Mamo ported FAST90/NW90, 160* stat, Kooks, TI's, DRM cutouts, Ripper, 4:10's, Tex OZ700, QA1's, Tony Mamo ported AFR 205's, 242/242 .610/.610 114LSA+2, Yella Terras, 42lb/hr Green tops, ASP UD pulley, 2 AMW catch cans

Show: Euro tails & mrkrs, Z06 chromes/Pilots, 300Wx2 Bolt w/12" Sub,
    red calipers & black rear letters, Zaino.
    530 RWHP, 479 RWTQ

Thanks for the update. May I ask how you achieved ~30mpg with 4.10's. I'm only seeing about 20 mpg.

and may I ask how you finally got your 90 to seal up?

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfoot
    Thanks for the update. May I ask how you achieved ~30mpg with 4.10's. I'm only seeing about 20 mpg.
    Instantaneous, flat level road, 55mph in 6th gear, reads ~28-30mph. Not an average or anything. Also, 11.3:1 compression with a .034" quench height helps, as do headers, vararam, etc. Average varies from around town = 11-14mpg, to highway ~22mpg.

Go:LPE 403, VaraRam, Haltech, PowerMax 100mm MAF, Tony Mamo ported FAST90/NW90, 160* stat, Kooks, TI's, DRM cutouts, Ripper, 4:10's, Tex OZ700, QA1's, Tony Mamo ported AFR 205's, 242/242 .610/.610 114LSA+2, Yella Terras, 42lb/hr Green tops, ASP UD pulley, 2 AMW catch cans

530 RWHP, 479 RWTQ

Quote Originally Posted by TAQuickness
    and may I ask how you finally got your 90 to seal up?
    Torque. I removed the gasket I made with the RTV and bought the rope gasket that FAST makes. I also used a set of FAST intake gaskets. They are a bit thicker. Then I used the GM tightening sequence, but went past the 106 in/lbs to 16ft/bls. I got it on tight. Not tight like the bolts won't move any more, but tight like 2-3 turns past the 106 in/bls.
    ---
    When I purchased the intake I had Tony Mamo port it for me. When he sent it back he said to torque it that way. I voiced my concern about cracking it, but he assured me it could take much more than that.
    ---
    I think it was always sealing, but the strange way the car idled and transitioned made me think it was leaking.

530 RWHP, 479 RWTQ

So, you don't think the FAST gaskets were really necessary? I was going to use new LS6 intake gaskets with my ported 90 and LS2 ported TB. I'm going to start with my 28 lb injectors when I do the H/C job, just to make it easier to dial in, then go to 30 lb SVOs. I also am very new to this, and am trying to read as much as possible. I want to use the auto tune functionality so I will be putting in an LC-1...have you tried that?

Nice job and thanks for the story! Once again starting with the basics pays off. I am learning with this tuning stuff that too much thinking can ruin the tune! During my quest to learn tuning I have read and disected so much stuff that it had drove me nuts. After slowing down the thought process it all started to make sense.

Again the VE is the foundation of it all and needs to be as close as it can get. Keep us posted on how the car continues to act!

Howard

www.redline-motorsports.net

1-954-703-5560

2006 ZO6 895/866 with APS TT
    2010 SSRS Camaro HTR-900TT (798/801)
    2011 HTR-850R Camaro
    2012 ZL1 Auto (10.33@135 MPH) Video Here!

Quote Originally Posted by ArKay99
    Torque. I removed the gasket I made with the RTV and bought the rope gasket that FAST makes. I also used a set of FAST intake gaskets. They are a bit thicker. Then I used the GM tightening sequence, but went past the 106 in/lbs to 16ft/bls. I got it on tight. Not tight like the bolts won't move any more, but tight like 2-3 turns past the 106 in/bls.
    ---
    When I purchased the intake I had Tony Mamo port it for me. When he sent it back he said to torque it that way. I voiced my concern about cracking it, but he assured me it could take much more than that.
    ---
    I think it was always sealing, but the strange way the car idled and transitioned made me think it was leaking.
    How many passes did you make on it?

Quote Originally Posted by TAQuickness
    How many passes did you make on it?
    I made 4, then checked it once more, then I tweaked it a few days later. I guess the gaskets compacted. I know you've been going through a lot to get yours to seal. As you know I didn't use their orange O-ring at the throttle body either, I made one from RTV and cranked that down too. So far so good.

530 RWHP, 479 RWTQ

Quote Originally Posted by frodo84
    So, you don't think the FAST gaskets were really necessary? I was going to use new LS6 intake gaskets with my ported 90 and LS2 ported TB. I'm going to start with my 28 lb injectors when I do the H/C job, just to make it easier to dial in, then go to 30 lb SVOs. I also am very new to this, and am trying to read as much as possible. I want to use the auto tune functionality so I will be putting in an LC-1...have you tried that?
    I don't know about necessary, as a matter of fact a friend of mine has one on his car and used his old LS6 gaskets and has no problems. I liked the FAST gaskets for my app because I thought I had a sealing issue and used those because they are a little thicker and therefore would give me more room for error.
    ---
    I don't see how starting with 28lb injectors, then switching to 30lb injectors would make it easier to dial in. I went with my old 28lb setup and when I did my h/c I put the 30lb injectors in and calculated the table from the flow rate then put the tune in.
    ---
    Autotune rocks. I had my VE dialed in with two passes of 'driving around' on the dyno. Then one pass for the MAF, then PE. I used BEN tables for the VE and MAF, then did a WOT for PE using a map I made for RPM vs, AFR. Then I figured the percentage difference for the AFR from wht I measured to 13.2:1, dialed that in, did another PE run and verified it. All I need to do now is tweak my idle transition, and get my spark a bit smoother.
    ---
    I use a PLX , a very nice unit with pre-built PID's.

530 RWHP, 479 RWTQ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast