Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Struggling coming from HPT to EFI for logging

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

I have no clue how HPT is configured to use STFT to tune the MAF - I've never seen/used HPT's software.
    If you explain what you want to achieve and how each step is computed, then I can show you how to replicate it using V8.
    Before asking for help, please read this.

I will try to word it correctly....In HPT you set up a simple histogram (or map in efi lives terms). Say you want to plot your STFT+LTFT error for dialing in your MAF or VE, since this is what the vehicle uses when in closed loop. Ill just use the stft+ltft maf correction for example here.

You record maf frequency and go make your log. The same fuel trim values it records them in plots in your map. You highlight your data, copy, then go to the editor then highlight the areas you logged then paste special and multiply. It simply multiplies the percent you logged against the current data to give you a new value. If your current cell is 5.0 and it had a +5 fuel trim, the new value is 5.25. I understand that the BEN factor is set up to do this as well. But I am struggling to understand how to setup a calculated pid to do the same. How can i set the fuel trim % recorded in my map to be in BEN factor so when i paste by correction in tune tool it does the same.

If i could figure it out I would be estatic. I did attach a few screenshots if its any helpful. The math pic is pretty simple but all i can really help with. I really appreciate the help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Histogram.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	298.9 KB 
ID:	24033   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPT math.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	326.5 KB 
ID:	24034  

Assuming you want to sum the values of the short term fuel trim and long term fuel trim and then use the distance that summed value is from zero as the error correction, then do this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ft_calc_pid.png 
Views:	197 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	24035

To create the scan tool MAP, Open the tune file and select the entire MAF table and select "Copy with Labels".
    Then in the MAP -> Properties, for each of the Row and Col tab pages, click on the [Paste] button the paste the labels into the table's axis. That will re-create the same size/shape table.

Name:	ft_calc_pid_2.png 
Views:	181 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	24036

The logged data in the map should all be between 0 and 2.
    Copy that data, then use "Paste as Error Correction" into the MAF table, like this:

Before:

Name:	ft_calc_pid_3.png 
Views:	184 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	24038

After:

Name:	ft_calc_pid_4.png 
Views:	166 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	24037

I think what the OP is saying (and what I'm struggling with) is many available predefined Maths and the ease of creating your own in HP.
    Both in custom logging and graph filters.
    -Picture 1 shows a list of predefine Maths for creating graphs and charts (you obviously need to be logging all necessary channels (pid's)
    -Picture 3 shows the start of creating a user defined math. Choose a Math that isn't taken, clich new variable, click insert/change parameter
    -Picture 4 shows the list of available parameters (if you click on the gear only the parameters you are logging in your channels are available) I left this open to show all available and chose o2 sensor bank1 sensor1
    -Picture 5 Shows the parameter I choose, a drop down for units, the special functions available
    -Picture 6 shows the first completed parameter in my Math
    Start with next parameter for your Math function
    -Picture 7 shows an example of a Math function for VVE error based on MAF error to tune MAF and VVE at the same time

Don't get me wrong, I love EFI. It helped me with an lb7 where HP would not.
    I'm trying to give you a look into what I'm seeing just starting out here and what I'm use to

I hope this represents what the OP was asking
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Math_1.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	24046   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Math_3.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	24047   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Math_4.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	24048   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Math_5.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	24049   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Math_6.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	24050  

Name:	Math_7.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	24051  

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    I'm the opposite, i use efi for most of my tuning/logging. hpt editor for stuff we don't have. very rarely use the scanner because it irritates me that they never linked the 2 like we have in efilive. i.e highlighting data from scanner to editor.
    I just figured that out last week, its bad ass!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    Assuming you want to sum the values of the short term fuel trim and long term fuel trim and then use the distance that summed value is from zero as the error correction, then do this:

Name:	ft_calc_pid.png 
Views:	197 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	24035

To create the scan tool MAP, Open the tune file and select the entire MAF table and select "Copy with Labels".
    Then in the MAP -> Properties, for each of the Row and Col tab pages, click on the [Paste] button the paste the labels into the table's axis. That will re-create the same size/shape table.

Name:	ft_calc_pid_2.png 
Views:	181 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	24036

The logged data in the map should all be between 0 and 2.
    Copy that data, then use "Paste as Error Correction" into the MAF table, like this:

Before:

Name:	ft_calc_pid_3.png 
Views:	184 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	24038

After:

Name:	ft_calc_pid_4.png 
Views:	166 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	24037
    Okay
    I posted a response here last night that was flagged for review by moderators.

If I did something wrong can I get an explanations on what was unacceptable?
    I showed screen shots of what HP people are use to when creating filters and pids.

I also said it was posted to show what the OP and I are use to in hopes to get some direction on how to do the same here.

I take it as someone who is use to working in windows switches to Mac... Pretty darn different, but at the end of the day accomplishes the same thing

I don't know why the post was flagged. As site admin I can see the post.
    I took a quick look, I have never used the HPT software, I don't know what the names in those screen shots represent, so I can't won't attempt to translate those screen shots into something for V8.

If you can explain:
    • what each term is for,
    • where the data behind each term comes from,
    • why each term is necessary,
    • what the effect is that you want to compute.

then I could probably show you how to achieve a similar outcome using the V8 software.

Regards
    Paul

Thanks for responding, I'll definitely do that as soon as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by dzlunlim View Post
    So for years iv been using HPT for gas tuning and recently with everything im doing in efi for diesel stuff I have a turbo ls truck i want to learn to tune gas vehicles with in EFI. The thing that has me the most confused is logged data in maps, Im used to just copying the data say stft % from the ve table histogram, and going to the tune and pasting and multiplying by %. I can not for the life of me figure out how to do this with efi scanner. Theres so many differences its hard to grasp. I read about ben factor, and then i see paste settings in the map where I figured when i selected multiply when i ctrl+v. But it gives me crazy numbers. hpt has many predefined maths but efi has none. Iv tried reading through tutorials and the help docs but nothing is really jumping out to me where i need to start. Any insite is appreciated
    You do it the same way...

you create a map of say STFT by RPM by MAP, then you copy it (the whole map), and then on your VE table (displayed as %) you select the whole table and do rightclick->paste->paste & add.

Of course, there are other ways, the Calc MAFT thread, it uses V7, but it can also be done with V8 (the calc pids are created interactively).

I wish I could easily just transfer all my stuff from 7.5 to 8. I have years of maps from 7.5 and tried making some in 8 and couldnt get any to work. So we just require our customers to use 7.5 for everything still if they use efi live.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast