Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E37 Reduced Engine Power - P0606 on Used PCM

Default E37 Reduced Engine Power - P0606 on Used PCM

Hi Everyone,

At my wits end on this project and have surrendered to needing additional help from the community here. I will give a quick summary of the vehicle/engine/wiring application and the history leading up to this point. Car is a 2009 Pontiac G5. Engine is a LAP 2.2L Ecotec. Wiring Harness is original and uncut/modified. Has an E37 PCM. This is a track car and is completely stripped out, roll cage welded in, no interior. Car was running great and everything was working fine. Disconnected the battery one day to install a battery box, and when I reconnected the battery the VATS system activated for some reason and I had a no crank, no start sympton. Attempted key relearn, no luck. Took the car to a dealer and did a Tech-2 Security Relearn, still no luck. Dealer determined the issue was with the Key Transponder Module on the ignition switch itself. Rather than replacing this module, I decided I would simply flash in a tune with the VATS delete and carry on. Connected my V2 and Laptop, attempted a full flash, and Paul from EFILive determined the PCM had a Flash Memory failure. Now the PCM was scrambled and wouldn't take a flash, and had lost the vehicle VIN.

Purchased a used E37 from a scrapyard. Computer was from a 2009 and had the correct OS. Connected and full flashed in my VATS delete tune. Car runs! Completed the required clutch pedal relearn and CKP CASE Relearn, all good. Disconnected from EFILive, went to take the car for a drive, and after using the throttle pedal twice I get the "Reduced Engine Power" message and lose throttle control. Read codes and find the following codes - P0036, P0532, P0054, P0606, B2555, U2113, U2129, B3031, B3055. All of these codes make total sense for the car given the Airbag Module is removed (Ran fine for months since then), Rear O2s are removed (Ran fine for months since then), and interior lights are removed. Turning off the codes makes them no longer appear, but still gives the same "Reduced Engine Power" message. I turned them back on so I could monitor what causes the problem exactly. Clearing all codes and idling the car, all codes EXCEPT P0606 return. Rev the car up twice, pedal control goes away, P0606 comes back. The only thing at this point that I can think of is that P0606 is an Internal PCM fault, and when this happens the PCM goes into limp mode and takes away pedal control. With the car shut off, the Throttle Pedal reads the correct position at all times and the throttle body follows the throttle pedal correctly throughout the range. Is there any chance there is a Throttle Pedal Relearn required when replacing a controller? Everything I read on forums and diagnostic charts for this code indicates issues between the TAC APP Sensor and PCM Reading. All the Electronic Throttle Control tables are original and unmodified from the original tune which was pulled from the car.

At this point, my next steps I believe would be to purchase another PCM, this time which will be a brand new one, and flash in the tune and see if my problem was truly PCM related. The main issue at this point is cost, as EFILive has already replaced the failed Flash Memory license once (Thank you a ton guys) and doubt they will replace it again for this "New" PCM that appears to have once again failed. Suggestions and thoughts? Buy another PCM? Anything I can test to verify the PCM has an internal fault? I'll attach the file for anyone who wants to have a look as well.

G5 STOCK TUNE - VATS 2.ctz
    Last edited by Boyes50; March 25th, 2022 at 03:36 AM.

Well, more to comment on now. Attempting to go back to the beginning and start fresh, I did a full flash to eliminate the VATS Patch and all changes and see what my results would be at this time. The stock tune file attempted to program, and has now bricked a second E37 controller. This is now leading me to believe the root cause of all the issues with this car are contained in a corrupted and/or damaged stock tune file. I am going to attach the original tune file I pulled from the car here, and hopefully we can discover the issue.

G5 STOCK TUNE.ctz

I'm slowly reading thru that so I understand all the details...

Thanks joecar,

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I realize it’s an essay, but unfortunately I had a ton of information to lay out and always feel more information is better than “Why my car no go” posts. Thanks in advance

No worries.

I prefer lots of information rather than hardly any.

I like to read it carefully so I understand the whole picture.

Bump, any help would be greatly appreciated. Simply at a loss with this car and the symptoms.

Datalog Cpufault. This will give you a reason code for P0606, which will pinpoint the actual cause
    2011 VE SSV 419 + CAM + Whipple 2.9FF SC + PPV front struts + Bilstein rear shocks + 6L90E with single piece carbon fiber prop

Quote Originally Posted by izaks View Post
    Datalog Cpufault. This will give you a reason code for P0606, which will pinpoint the actual cause
    Any walkthrough on how to do this? That sounds like exactly what I need.

Add PID Processor Fault Reason Code GM.CPUFAULT to your PID list in Efilive Scan
    2011 VE SSV 419 + CAM + Whipple 2.9FF SC + PPV front struts + Bilstein rear shocks + 6L90E with single piece carbon fiber prop

Quote Originally Posted by izaks View Post
    Add PID Processor Fault Reason Code GM.CPUFAULT to your PID list in Efilive Scan

Izaks, Logging that PID it shows 0 and remains at 0 regardless. When the fault code sets and P0606 comes present, CPUFAULT steadily shows 0. I tried a new CAL file from Steve @ EFIHarness, but still no joy. The car runs and idles, and will rev with the code cleared. Rev it 2-3 times and it suddenly throws P0606, Reduced Engine Power, and I lose Throttle Control.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast