Thread: Can't figure out rich condition

Default Can't figure out rich condition

I have a log of a 2014 5.3 E92 which is attached. The issue is randomly the LTFT go really rich and set code P0174 and P0175 which is rich on bank one and two. I don't see anything in the log that would show something is funny, but clearly at the end of the log you can see the trims go to -30.

It is hard to catch when this happens but it seems to set the engine light when it has been idling for a couple minutes when the engine is warm.

Any tips on something else i should be logging to look for the culprit?

Or has anyone else experienced similar situations? I have changed plugs, wires, and 02 sensors and it is still randomly going rich. Thought maybe the high pressure fuel pump was crapping out but you can see the pressure remains good. Also under WOT it holds pressure as well. After this log i have added the maf raw frequency PID, but the mass air flow doesn't seem to change when this rich condition occurs.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lifetime Member

post your calz file please
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

Lifetime Member

it seems its purging the gas tank via the evap.

Lifetime Member

or its setting a 101 code or any other mass air code. I would suggest start by disabling P0101 and P1101 and see how it goes.

here is the tune file, however it really isn't any modifications from stock except for turning off codes, disabeling burst knock, and making enter PE mode qucker. i also made it so that P0175 and P0172 turn on quicker instead of waiting for 2 trips. Also it will set the same engine code with the stock tune file.

reading around apparently the high pressure fuel pumps seem to go bad on these engines and leak fuel into the oil. I started to drain the oil and a clear liquid came out first. I'm guessing the high pressure fuel pump is leaking and the fumes are sucked into the engine causing the rich condition? however it is still maintaining fuel pressure.

BTW, in the tune file since it is relatively stock, why would it inhibit the AFM? when i run any modified tune I never see AFM activate. If you go to properties then file comments i keep a log of everything i have changed. I will likely turn it off anyway, was just wondering why it wasn't working.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The intermittent leaky fuel pump/regulator needs to be addressed (whether or not it is the direct cause).