Thread: Startup Airflow and Startup Friction Airflow whats the difference

Default Startup Airflow and Startup Friction Airflow whats the difference

The tuning tool gives a good description of the Startup frictional airflow correction, but what is Startup airflow correction. I've logged both IAC_SUP_DMA and IAC_FRICTION_DMA during startup. IAC_FRICTION_DMA corelates closely to B4343 but IAC_SUP_DMA bears no relation to B4304. In fact, while logging today I noticed that the PID's for friction and startup airflow were giving identical figures in my logs. Is this how it is supposed to be or is something funny going on?

LOL - I asked the exact same thing a few weeks back
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

IIRC, Friction airflow decays a bit faster than startup airflow. It's there for the little extra omph you need for cold startups.

I see it as they are both doing the same thing - temporarily increasing desired airflow. It's like the engineers had to increase airflow during startup accounting for two different things here.

Since the motor temp will have a direct reflection on oil temp and how fast things can become lubricated (please...no dirty jokes ), the Startup Friction Airflow adds a little to the Desired Airflow to keep the motor from stumbling/stalling because things aren't coated with oil completely. Remember, colder oil is thicker and doesn't penetrate the cracks/crevises as easily (that sounded dirty...my bad).

The other side of it is Startup Airflow - a motor naturally needs a little more airflow temporarily during startup. That's why this table doesn't have any delay before it begins to decay and decays at a greater rate. It's not waiting for the oil to warm up. Older cars used to start easier when you pump the pedal a little while it's turning over. The PCM is just doing it for you with this table.

That's my logic...

That's a good explanation SSpdDmon. The thing I don't get is why the values for Startup Airflow I'm logging are the same as Friction Airflow and bear no resemblance to the values in the Startup Airflow table?