Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E81 Support?

Default E81 Support?

Apparently, from the 'supported vehicles' page, EFILive supports the E81 ECM, and to get a little more specific, it seems EFILive supports the 2018 Cadillac CT6 3.0TT. From what I gather, the E81 is used in the 2016-2019 CT6, but the 2019 is not listed as supported. Are there any plans to support the 2019 CT6 E81 (3.0TT), or did GM go to fully encrypted nonsense that year for that model?

@Blacky, @GMPX ?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

If you have an E81 and can read the tune file from the E81, please submit the file to EFILive via our service desk (https://service.efilive.com/new-ticket) and then we can determine if support for it can be added.
    Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Thanks Paul... That gives be some hope lol. I don't have the car just yet, but when I do, I'll reach out. But what about the 'controller authorization'? It seems you guys no longer do that?

To be totally honest, at least at this point, all I would REALLY want to do is nuke the stupid 'auto stop/start', so if it turned out you could support it, if all you could provide was a handful of tables that would allow parameters to be set such that thst 'feature' could never operate, I'd be a happy camper.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar281 View Post
    But what about the 'controller authorization'? It seems you guys no longer do that?
    It is no longer necessary, it is all built in to the software now.

I must have missed something then... I tried to read a 2018, but couldn't because of that... Is it no longer a pay thing, or something else? In that case, it was 'out of curiosity', so I wouldn't buy an unlock, but if/when I have the car I'm looking for, that would be different.

Are you using the latest release V8 software to read the ECM? It should just work (unless GM have blocked reading on that controller).
    If not, save a *.htx trace file (from the EFILive Control Panel) and submit it as a help desk request here: https://service.efilive.com/new-ticket
    Regards
    Paul

So I updated to the latest release, and was able to read the ECM in my 2019, which I sent in. The odd thing is afterwards, some things seemed to be really ticked off. Onstar is complaining about five 'issues' that need attention, and several modules, including the Instrument Cluster, were not responding when I ran vehicle diagnostics to scan all modules for DTCs using my MDI2 and Techline connect. Didn't have any 'visible' issues, no drivability issues, everything was working as expected near as I could tell. After I 'rebooted' the car by disconnecting the negative cable for a few minutes, the 'missing' modules are now back to responding to Techline Connect and seem to not be showing any issues. Do you have any thoughts on this? I've never seen that kind of behavior before.

When the read (or flash) process occurs, the ECM is effectively "dead/missing" on the CAN bus. Prior to starting the read/flash FlashScan requests "bus silence" from all modules. Those modules should then "know" not to log any DTCs about not being able to contact other modules on the bus until the "bus silence" is revoked. It could be that some modules are not handling the bus silence well (or some newer modules are programmed to look for a different message to enable bus-silence that FlashScan is not aware of - yet) and those modules may still record the fact that other modules were not contactable for the duration of the flash. After a few ignition cycles those DTCs will get cleared as the modules all begin to communicate with each other again. Or as you did, you can reset/reboot everything by power cycling.

After the read, did you do the ignition-off, wait X seconds, then ignition back on? That can be important because the ECM needs to "time out" after the ignition is switched off to allow it to perform it's internal house-keeping operations which includes writing some information (that it needs to keep permanently) to it's own internal flash memory.
    Maybe we've set the timer too low, next time try waiting a bit longer (say up to a minute) to see if that makes any difference.

Regards
    Paul

Yes, I shut it down and waited for the timer before continuing, and then after that, it sat overnight before being started again. It was Thursday evening that I read the ECM, but today that I hooked up with the MDI2/TechConnect/GDS2 because Onstar was complaining, and that's when I found the modules 'not responding' according to GDS2. Like I said, no drivability issues, the car wasn't complaining about anything, no CEL, no other DIC messages, only OnStar, and if I didn't have a MDI2/TechlineConnect/GDS2, I would never have known about modules being unresponsive, yet they were still functioning...

Edit: Just to clarify - there weren't loss of comms DTCs. When GDS2 was polling all modules in the car, several that are there and had been polled previously, like the cluster, came back as 'not responding'.
    Last edited by Cougar281; June 17th, 2022 at 12:17 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast