Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4l80e Swap with COS5

That seems to have done the trick. Swapped both segments and did a full flash and everything seems to be working correctly. Thanks for the help!

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    To answer your original question, you can do the 4L80E trans segments (2 segments, the trans segment and the trans dtc/error segment) on top of your COS5.

But be sure to check/compare your tables before/after.
    I just practiced swapping trans segment and the trans dtc/error segment into my COS5/12212156.

So do I understand this to mean I don't need to purchase the TCI Trans Controller if I swap in a 4L80E in place of my 4L60E? I still have sufficient control over the 4L80E Transmission with my PCM to mange the 4L80E Shifts and behaviors?
    I'd rather be blown, bored... AND stroked!
    Now: 447 CID (Corvette 427) , ATI Procharger D-1SC Supercharger

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Black LS1 T/A View Post
    I just practiced swapping trans segment and the trans dtc/error segment into my COS5/12212156.

So do I understand this to mean I don't need to purchase the TCI Trans Controller if I swap in a 4L80E in place of my 4L60E? I still have sufficient control over the 4L80E Transmission with my PCM to mange the 4L80E Shifts and behaviors?
    What vehicle?
    Ive done hundreds of 4L80E swaps over the years and never had an issue.
    But seeing you mentioned 12212156 OS means your working with some 2002 vehicle so thats no problem.
    I can post a 4l80 tune for you if you cant find one. Plus i can go ahead and have the TCC Min TPS disabled so TCC stays locked under 2% TPS.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by nonnieselman View Post
    What vehicle?
    But seeing you mentioned 12212156 OS means your working with some 2002 vehicle so thats no problem.
    I can post a 4l80 tune for you if you cant find one. Plus i can go ahead and have the TCC Min TPS disabled so TCC stays locked under 2% TPS.

Thank you! I have a 1998 Trans am that I've re-pinned and replace the PCM with a 2000.
    I loaded the 12212156 OS and transformed to the Custom Calibration: 02020005

I ordered the 4L80E from Gearstar when I talked to Yank about getting a 4L80E version of the Yank converter I've had for my 4L60E.
    He recommended a company right here in NC that makes a conversion cable that negates the need for a segment swap. It is the cable you see on top of the Flexplate box.
    (PCM of NC 4l60/70 to 4l80 Swap Harness)
    It has a circuit board built into the cable that converts the 4L80E signals to what my PCM expects would come from a 4L60E.

I would certainly love any other advice you can give for my swap. Hundreds of converter swaps... wow! You must have a shop.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flexplate Bango Bolts TQ Bolts Control Cable Adapter.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	419.4 KB 
ID:	24463

Lifetime Member

What vehicle?
    The reason I'm buckling down and doing a 4L80E, no matter where I get the transmission or who builds it, I've broken 4L60E's time after time. Back when they weren't "Performance Builds", I use to lose 3/4 or it would start slipping in those gears. When I had people install every "built" part in the book, all SONNAX stuff, Z-Packs, Smart Shells, 5 Pinion Rear Planet (which I think may be damaged now), they don't last more than 6 months to a year of just street tuning, much less going to the track.

Once I get a reliable tranny in, I'm so ready to dyno and see what kind of power this thing is putting down... as well as to ensure I have a good AFR for my boost level. BEFORE this last build-up, it ran in the high tens around 125/126 MPH in the quarter. That doesn't seem like excess of power. (Of course, since I'm not running slicks, I'm only going to be so quick). But I was hoping to get in the 9's with this build.

(Before I had trans troubles, I routinely broke the rear end, until I upgraded it to a Mark Williams 12-Bolt, and the rear end has never failed since.)
    Last edited by Black LS1 T/A; August 3rd, 2023 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Fixed incomplete sentence

Lifetime Member

Thank you! I have a 1998 Trans am that I've re-pinned and replace the PCM with a 2000.
    I loaded the 12212156 OS and transformed to the Custom Calibration: 02020005

I ordered the 4L80E from Gearstar when I talked to Yank about getting a 4L80E version of the Yank converter I've had for my 4L60E.
    He recommended a company right here in NC that makes a conversion cable that negates the need for a segment swap. It is the cable you see on top of the Flexplate box.
    (PCM of NC 4l60/70 to 4l80 Swap Harness)
    It has a circuit board built into the cable that converts the 4L80E signals to what my PCM expects would come from a 4L60E.

I would certainly love any other advice you can give for my swap. Hundreds of converter swaps... wow! You must have a shop.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flexplate Bango Bolts TQ Bolts Control Cable Adapter.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	419.4 KB 
ID:	24463

Ive never tried that swap harness. Ive always used the 4l80 segment swap.

Yea i run my own shop doing turbo trucks and stuff so all the 4l60s get thrown away or sold.

Lifetime Member

The reason I'm buckling down and doing a 4L80E, no matter where I get the transmission or who builds it, I've broken 4L60E's time after time. Back when they weren't "Performance Builds", I use to lose 3/4 or it would start slipping in those gears. When I had people install every "built" part in the book, all SONNAX stuff, Z-Packs, Smart Shells, 5 Pinion Rear Planet (which I think may be damaged now), they don't last more than 6 months to a year of just street tuning, much less going to the track.

Once I get a reliable tranny in, I'm so ready to dyno and see what kind of power this thing is putting down... as well as to ensure I have a good AFR for my boost level. BEFORE this last build-up, it ran in the high tens around 125/126 MPH in the quarter. That doesn't seem like excess of power. (Of course, since I'm not running slicks, I'm only going to be so quick). But I was hoping to get in the 9's with this build.

(Before I had trans troubles, I routinely broke the rear end, until I upgraded it to a Mark Williams 12-Bolt, and the rear end has never failed since.)

hahaha i know the feeling. I broke 17 built 4l60's in 13 months. Figured out how to do the 4l80 swap in 2003 and never looked back. over 340,000 miles on it now and its towed more than triple the weight of what the truck is rated for and outrun cars on interstate while pulling a 14' trailer up to 170mph hahaha. Back in the good ole days.
    Truck ran high 11s on a all terrain tire and towed my buddys to the track and outrun them.

Lifetime Member

hahaha i know the feeling. I broke 17 built 4l60's in 13 months. Figured out how to do the 4l80 swap in 2003 and never looked back. over 340,000 miles on it now and its towed more than triple the weight of what the truck is rated for and outrun cars on interstate while pulling a 14' trailer up to 170mph hahaha. Back in the good ole days.
    Truck ran high 11s on a all terrain tire and towed my buddys to the track and outrun them.

Man, that's awesome! It was fun chatting with you.
    I'll let you know how it goes. I have a few weeks left before they get it to me. Too bad I didn't know about you before.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12