Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retrying previous block

Default Retrying previous block

All,
    I am working on a truck and we had some issues reading the cal out, red flag #1.
    So I was able to read out the cal with the old trusty v7.5.

Anyways, we just bought a new V3, so we took the cal, turned it into a DSP5 and tried to flash it in with the V3. It erased all the memory on the ecm and then errors out. We tried to get it to come to life by doing what the help file said. That didn't work. So I hooked up my V2 and I am trying to do a full flash recovery but it has been on retrying previous block for 2-1/2 hours...
    Any help on what to do at this point is appreciated. I would like to salvage this ecm as it now has two Vin licenses attached to it...

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by MSURacing; November 25th, 2022 at 07:46 AM.

It's possible that another module is interfering with communication. Maybe you tried this already, but I'd pull the fuses to the radio, amplifier, and any other related modules. If that still doesn't work, there is a splice pack under the dash where the communication wires split up from the DLC to the modules. You can remove the splice bar and hook up only the ECM and DLC wires.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Log a support ticket here: https://service.efilive.com/new-ticket
    Include the appropriate trace file from the failed reads and failed flashes (they should have been saved automatically in the \Documents\EFILive\V8\Trace folder).

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Quote Originally Posted by MSURacing View Post
    All,
    I am working on a truck and we had some issues reading the cal out, red flag #1.
    So I was able to read out the cal with the old trusty v7.5.

Anyways, we just bought a new V3, so we took the cal, turned it into a DSP5 and tried to flash it in with the V3. It erased all the memory on the ecm and then errors out. We tried to get it to come to life by doing what the help file said. That didn't work. So I hooked up my V2 and I am trying to do a full flash recovery but it has been on retrying previous block for 2-1/2 hours...
    Any help on what to do at this point is appreciated. I would like to salvage this ecm as it now has two Vin licenses attached to it...

Thanks in advance.
    If you don't get anywhere trying to communicate through the harness, send it to us for factory reflash, (or any V2 friendly file you want to supply). These are pretty hardy, making it less likely to be an ecm issue, but we have replacements in the worst case scenario.

In that 2 hours, was the truck on a battery charger? The LLY is pretty pissy with low bus voltage.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

We deal with this all the time, message me and we will get it set up on a bench for you.

Thanks all...
    I finally just said the heck with it and pulled out every fuse that didn't pertain to tuning... I am thinking it is the BCM as we had to do a VATS relearn after the flash.
    1 question I have is why does the V3 not allow you to tine thru the V2 software? Having that software makes me feel a bit more comfprtable for just such situations...
    I was going to replace my V2 with a V3, but now I am skeptical about doing so...

The V8 software will work with both V2 and V3 devices.
    The V7.5 software will only work with the V2 devices.

That is because the USB interface/drivers for V3 are very different to the USB interface/drivers for V2.
    The V7.5 software could not be easily** retro-fitted with the USB interface for the V3 device.

**easily means not without many months of development. It was deemed not worth the effort since the V7.5 software is no longer actively supported or developed.

Just for my own interest, what benefit do you get using the V7.5 software over V8 - i.e. what can V7.5 do that V8 can't do?
    If there's something that V7.5 can do that V8 can't do (or doesn't do as well as V7.5) then I'll try to get that functionality and/or use-ability into V8.

Regards
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    The V8 software will work with both V2 and V3 devices.
    The V7.5 software will only work with the V2 devices.

That is because the USB interface/drivers for V3 are very different to the USB interface/drivers for V2.
    The V7.5 software could not be easily** retro-fitted with the USB interface for the V3 device.

**easily means not without many months of development. It was deemed not worth the effort since the V7.5 software is no longer actively supported or developed.

Just for my own interest, what benefit do you get using the V7.5 software over V8 - i.e. what can V7.5 do that V8 can't do?
    If there's something that V7.5 can do that V8 can't do (or doesn't do as well as V7.5) then I'll try to get that functionality and/or use-ability into V8.

Regards
    Paul
    In regards to V7.5 vs. V8 I suspect it's a comfort thing were you know where to go and what to do. Please don't take that as a dig of the newer software.

While some are scared of the dark, Others are scared of the light...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3604zl.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	24300

That's fair enough too, I hate updating to newer versions of Windows, I can never find the things that I need. It takes me a good year or two to get comfortable with new version. So I put off updating as long as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by 1FastBrick View Post
    In regards to V7.5 vs. V8 I suspect it's a comfort thing were you know where to go and what to do. Please don't take that as a dig of the newer software.

While some are scared of the dark, Others are scared of the light...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3604zl.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	24300

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    That's fair enough too, I hate updating to newer versions of Windows, I can never find the things that I need. It takes me a good year or two to get comfortable with new version. So I put off updating as long as I can.
    Good Old windows update's... What will they break next?

As for the old software, There is only 1 feature I wish I could still have. The ability to buy Stream license. But I understand why It was removed going forward.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast