Thread: another LB7 locked ECM

Default another LB7 locked ECM

Hello. I recently (within the last 2 months) bought a 2004 Silverado LB7 that needed new injectors. I have since replaced the injectors and the truck runs ok now. My problem is I now have a security light on in the dash and the serial number is corrupted. Not only that, I cannot read the ECU with EFILive to even flash the computer. I'm not sure the security light was on when I bought the truck but I'm sure it is now. The truck sat for almost two years before I got it and I know it sat for at least two weeks with no batteries connected.

I have tried using my V2 to cal flash the ECU but it says the computer is locked with a custom key. It tried over 3200 something keys and it took several hours.

Also it seems to lose it's prime when it sits overnight. I seem to have to prime the fuel before I start it or it cranks a long time before it will start. But if I prime it it will start quickly and after it runs a few minutes it will fire off immediately when I try to start it after short period shut downs.

My main concern is the security light. I need to get that sorted first.

Any suggestions?
    2002 Duramax
    project Jeep Wrangler to CJ conversion with a LS engine and 6L80e transmission underway

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper View Post

My main concern is the security light. I need to get that sorted first.

Any suggestions?
    I have about a dozen or so LB7 ecms with the same problem. I usually have to replace the ecm for the customer. The first gen has an unknown spontaneous loss of identity issue, and I am not clear what the main cause is. I happy to put it on the bench if you want to ship it off.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

I'm not too familiar with the diesel stuff. Yeah, for some reason these LB7's fubar the parameters section which corrupts the seed/key, serial # and vin too, basically the entire "block". I can repair them on the bench with my BDM. I'm not sure about the security light. Do you guys have to do a VATS relearn for that when replacing the ecm?

See also https://service.efilive.com/kb/artic...-gm-gas-diesel
    Last edited by In-Tech; May 31st, 2022 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by In-Tech View Post
    Thanks. I was afraid of that. I'll call Wait4ME Performance tomorrow to see what they can tell me.

I appreciate the help. And thanks killerbee for the offer to put it on the bench. I'll probably try Wait4Me because they are much closer to home for me.

I will update this thread as I learn more.
    2002 Duramax
    project Jeep Wrangler to CJ conversion with a LS engine and 6L80e transmission underway