Thread: Idle speed adjustment question

Default Idle speed adjustment question

Good evening gents,

Been doing some reading and searching on here most of the day to a point my head hurts now. Can I drop my idle speeds with EFI Live without compromising my whole tune? Cam is a 218/227 .600/.600 112+2 with -1.5 overlap. Im going to log and pull the flash tomorrow and see exactly what idle speeds are set at. Was going to buy my SS3600 but, life happened and I was in the hospital earlier this year and wife just had a baby. Cant really swing the converter quite yet. I asked my tuner to try a lower idle but he set it where he wanted and did the rest of my tune.
    Last edited by JT_99Z; June 8th, 2022 at 11:59 PM.

With that overlap you should be able to drop the idle speed.

Sounds good. I didnt want to jump in there and drop the idle speeds a bit if it was going to mess up the whole tune.

Quote Originally Posted by JT_99Z View Post
    Sounds good. I didnt want to jump in there and drop the idle speeds a bit if it was going to mess up the whole tune.
    Congratulations on your baby! i hope you are better too.

I'm a noobie here at EFI.
    I'm guessing that overlap is at .050 not .006 but even at that like joecar said that should idle pretty darn low.

Just a word of caution (to your concern) if you lower the idle the airflow will lower. If your MAF and VE have not been calibrated in those areas of the table you could have issues. Then after that you might need to adjust your IAC counts.
    HOWEVER it should be a pretty easy process to get it dialed in.

Not trying to scare you, just don't want to see you get frustrated

EDIT
    I mentioned IAC, that assumes DBC TB
    Last edited by dhoagland; June 28th, 2022 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dhoagland View Post

I'm guessing that overlap is at .050 not .006 but even at that like joecar said that should idle pretty darn low.

Just a word of caution (to your concern) if you lower the idle the airflow will lower. If your MAF and VE have not been calibrated in those areas of the table you could have issues. Then after that you might need to adjust your IAC counts.

EDIT
    Thanks, Im feeling much better than I did a few months ago. The meds are keeping things in check thankfully! (The surgical remedies didnt sound very pleasant)

The cam #'s are at .050 from the cam card. Im not looking to drop the idles a ton. Its sitting at like 860-890 warmed up. Was only going to drop them to 600-625 and see how she rolls. Ive talked to a few guys that have this exact cam on a stock stall and are idling it at 600 no issues. My car has been fully tuned and sadly this last tune will make my second since the cam went in. First tuner did a 100% shit job. Car surged all the time and died alot when pulled into gear. Guy I just had go through it said my MAF and VE tables were way off. The street tune he did is a MASSIVE improvement over the previous crap! Pulls so much harder and overall runs much better. He unfortunately set the idles even higher than the other shop did. I called him up and he said he would lower them for me. I was going to do it myself because its just a bit of a drive to get to him. Im heading there tomorrow around lunch so we shall see how it goes.

EDIT
    Thanks! Feeling much better since they got me on some meds to curb the AFIB.

My car has been fully tuned. Sadly, this is the second time and that tuner sucked a big one. Car surged, died going into gear, etc. The street tune that I just had done is a massive improvement over the last mess. Pulls so much harder, shifts nice and crisp. Idle is just awfully high. Even higher than the first tune! The guy did mention the MAF and VE tables were way off and he had to work them quite a bit. I am headed out to him today to get my idles adjusted some. I wanted to try and adjust them myself since its quite a drive to get to him. Dont want them adjusted a ton. Looking for a 200-250rpm drop and thats it. So, we shall see how it goes.

EDIT
    Finally got around to lowering my idle speeds a bit. Drives out perfect but when the car is warm in park at idle I have a very slight hunting. Sometimes it goes away then after a few minutes comes back for a bit. Guessing this is because MAF isnt seeing the same flow as it was before I dropped my idles in park? MAF and VE were dialed in when the car was tuned a few months ago.