Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cylinder balance missing bars and momentary negative ECT

Default Cylinder balance missing bars and momentary negative ECT

All,

When I run the balance test I have results bars that are randomly missing (completely). Additonally, almost everytime I run it the ECT blinks red for a moment on at least one of the cylinder. I think its showing an ECT of -20 or something???

I found several similar threads but I didn't see any final results or explanations.

Any thoughts on whats going on? Any chance this test would be catching intermittent ECT values even if I haven't seem them during lots of logging?

TIA,
    Richard
    Austin, TX
    2008 C6 Z51, NPP, 3LT, 6-speed

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

The momentary red ECT can be ignored, it is almost certainly not being generated by the vehicle.
    As for the bars that are missing - it is possible that the RPMs were not in the displayed range. I'd say try adjusting the initial idle speed to be closer to the center of the test range, but you can't do that on a C5.

Regards
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by PewterC5
    All,

When I run the balance test I have results bars that are randomly missing (completely). Additonally, almost everytime I run it the ECT blinks red for a moment on at least one of the cylinder. I think its showing an ECT of -20 or something???

I found several similar threads but I didn't see any final results or explanations.

Any thoughts on whats going on? Any chance this test would be catching intermittent ECT values even if I haven't seem them during lots of logging?

TIA,
    Before asking for help, please read this.

I've had the same problem. I've found that if the ECT turns red while testing a particular cylinder, then you don't get any result from that cylinder.

I've tried multiple times and it seems to happen at random, never the same cylinder. I've never been able to complete a cylinder balance test and get a result from all 8 cylinders.

Lifetime Member

Same experience here and no way to control idle speed. The ETC idle speed button(or any of the other RPM buttons) has no effect on idle speed in the cylinder balance test but it does work in the BIDI Control Panel??
    2017 Camaro SS, 2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 6.7L, 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 4̶X̶4̶(now 2WD), 5870lb race weight, 10.93@ 124, Twin TVS1900s, Twin Throttle, 429 LSX, 4L80E, custom 14 bolt rear, V2, R̶o̶a̶d̶R̶u̶n̶n̶e̶r̶(dead), COS3......
    Gettin' the Groceries

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Hmm, best I take a look at what is causing the problem.
    Watch this space....
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Lifetime Member

Same problems here. Seems to be more frequent with the latest software release. I used to be able to run the test no problem...

I have experienced this as well but never got around to posting it. I thought it was me!

www.redline-motorsports.net

1-954-703-5560

2006 ZO6 895/866 with APS TT
    2010 SSRS Camaro HTR-900TT (798/801)
    2011 HTR-850R Camaro
    2012 ZL1 Auto (10.33@135 MPH) Video Here!

This just happened to me too. I ran the balance test for the first time. Cylinder 2 almost never works. The cylinders that do work are all very close in power. Is there a problem with my car or is it normal for EFIlive to miss some cylinders? If I run it a few times, I can get all cylinders to work.

BTW, I'm trying to find an engine knock.
    Tom

1987 RX7 with 2000 LS1 - T56 Transplant
    Full Time Engineer, Part Time Gear Head
    http://www.badassperformance.com

Lifetime Member

Still watching.

"ETC" RPM control still not working. Can this be fixed or at least an RPM button added to the test console, as that one works under "idle air control".
    2017 Camaro SS, 2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 6.7L, 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 4̶X̶4̶(now 2WD), 5870lb race weight, 10.93@ 124, Twin TVS1900s, Twin Throttle, 429 LSX, 4L80E, custom 14 bolt rear, V2, R̶o̶a̶d̶R̶u̶n̶n̶e̶r̶(dead), COS3......
    Gettin' the Groceries

To all who posted in this thread: I want to get an idea which vehicle/model/year/PCM you see this on...?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast