Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VIN and VATS

Default VIN and VATS

If I purchase the correct things from EFI Live (handheld device and GM tuning software?) can I Turn off VATS in a GM PCM (2002 Suburban)?
    Can I change the vin in that same PCM to any vin I like, including from a different manufacturer?

Thanks!
    John

VATS: yes, should be able to (but I don't remember of there are any 2001/2002 special cases).

VIN: yes (using V7 scantool).

Would need clarification from the OP on 'different manufacturer', bit assuming the OP means Chevy/Cadillac/Pontiac/Buick (different GM brands), then yes. I suppose up could changecrge VIN in a GM controller to a non GM VIN, but not sure why you'd want to.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for responding!
    I realized I posted this in the wrong place right after I posted it. I saw General and thought oh I'll post it here.
    Then afterwards I saw that this general was under the scan tool topic. Big Duh for me. hahahaha.

The reason for a different VIN from different manufacturer is because the 2002 Silverado drive train is going into a different manufacturer's vehicle as a swap.
    My state has some restrictive rules for vehicles 1996 and newer. I was wondering if a PCM from a different manufacturer, but with the same OBD monitors and vin would raise any flags.
    It's an experiment I would like to test out in the future if I don't find a 1995 vehicle to transplant this drive train in.

Joecar, would V8 scantool not work? If so can I still download V7 somewhere?
    Thanks again!

Edit: I see two versions on the download page and downloaded them both. I don't know what the difference is yet, I am a complete noob as I am coming from using SCT AdvantageIII Ford tuning software and have not done any GM tuning yet. With this project I want to just start out with turning off VATS and Changing the VIN, then later I plan to install a supercharger.

My current setup is a Ford 4.0L SOHC V6 with GT500 Supercharger, liquid intercooled, water methanol, and Nitrous. Best run 12.80 in the 1/4 mile without nitrous, but I need two more cylinders to go faster.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3314.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	24187
    Last edited by 4pointslow; July 1st, 2022 at 09:00 PM.

Lifetime Member

You can use V8 to change the VIN, just did it last week (on a T42 TCM). It's under the F4 OBD menu.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    You can use V8 to change the VIN, just did it last week (on a T42 TCM). It's under the F4 OBD menu.
    Thank you. Does it use up two vin licenses? Or just one?
    Have you tried putting a VIN in from another manufacturer?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 4pointslow View Post
    Thank you. Does it use up two vin licenses? Or just one?
    Have you tried putting a VIN in from another manufacturer?
    Thanks!
    Just changing a VIN does not use a license.

Since it seems the VIN change you're talking about is something like putting a dodge vin into a gm TCM... No idea if it would work, but as there is no licence to change VINs, I would think trying it would be low risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar281 View Post
    Just changing a VIN does not use a license.

Since it seems the VIN change you're talking about is something like putting a dodge vin into a gm TCM... No idea if it would work, but as there is no licence to change VINs, I would think trying it would be low risk.

Thank you for verifying that, with all these answers and some reading of other threads here, I think I understand it better now.
    I'm picking up my Engine/harness/trans/and Tcase today, hope to be ordering a Flashscan V3/GM tuning/ and some cables soon!

I had some time and a few T42's laying around, so I decided to try this - I grabbed a VIN for a Dodge Charger off ebay and tried to program it to a T42 with EFILive - it seemed to take it just fine, didn't seem to have any odd DTCs (just the expected ones since it was on the bench), and after the power cycle, it read back the Dodge VIN. One thing to note: The VIN should be all uppercase - with lowercase letters, EFILive complained about 'only letters and numbers'.

Edit: I guess I should say YMMV as a disclaimer .
    Last edited by Cougar281; July 1st, 2022 at 10:47 AM.

Cougar281,
    Thanks for running that experiment and posting your results. I appreciate the help.
    Isn't it fun to run these kinds of experiments, and see what the results are?

Just picked up my engine/harness/PCM/trans/and T-case last night and saw that the PCM has 0411 on it. I am glad to see that it is a popular PCM because it means information will be easier to come across when working with it.
    This setup was the right choice for me because I wanted drive by cable, and this 2002 Suburban that it was pulled from came with it from the factory. Having done some tuning on one of my supercharged Explorers with drive by wire, I still just don't like drive by wire.
    I am still learning the GM lingo, until a few minutes ago I didn't even know what a T42 was. Now I know it is a standalone TCM. I figure it is a good choice to experiment with because reflashing it doesn't use up a license?
    The bench programming setups look really interesting, I am really going to enjoy learning and experimenting with this stuff for sure!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast