Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flashscan Suddenly Disconnected, Won't Reconnect

Lifetime Member

Default Flashscan Suddenly Disconnected, Won't Reconnect

I decided to try my luck at lean cruise today. I flashed the PCM, fired up the Scan Tool, connected to the vehicle, hit record and all was well for like 3 seconds. Then it disconnected, tried and failed to reconnect. I restarted the software, the computer, disconnected/reconnected cables (tried every, changed out the USB cable, nothing. Now I can't flash or anything which is kind of a big deal as the parameters I used went a bit too far. What next? Is there any way for me to ping the flashscan to narrow this down?
    1998 GMC Sierra K1500 5.7/4L80E, longtubes, 411 w/COS 5, marine cam/intake, Whipple. 91 octane at 6000'.
    1997 GMC Sierra K3500 7.4/4L80E, 411 w/COS 3, Whipple, small cam.
    2004 Corvette Z06 with longtubes.

Does the V2 or V3 work without the laptop?
    Al
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

Lifetime Member

It does. Shortly after posting I unplugged my wireless USB mouse and plugged the Flashscan into that port and it seemed to work, so I'm beginning to suspect a USB port issue. I do want to know how to better characterize this so I'm not caught with my pants down in the future. I'm taking this truck on a road trip in a week and a half, luckily I was able to tone the fueling down a bit and get it flashed and it's happy now so no need to panic, but I definitely didn't fix anything just got lucky. When plugged only into the OBDII port it powered up and when plugged only into the USB it lit up the LEDs below the screen (when it was acting up).
    1998 GMC Sierra K1500 5.7/4L80E, longtubes, 411 w/COS 5, marine cam/intake, Whipple. 91 octane at 6000'.

I don't know for sure what has happened, but since the day I was forced to move to win7 or higher, I have had connection errors out of no where. So far with reboots and unplug crapola I am able to re-connect. This is on multiple laptops including my win10. I wish the powers that be would let our old xp software work till this is figured out. It is extremely frustrating out in the field when I am not in my desktop environment.

All of it seems to be serial/usb problems. I am not upset with ANY one particular product, it is widespread and I truly believe it is again Windows BS Fock, if I have a stable environment, why would you stop me from being able to use what is working??????????

I do understand some of the new things you employ "supposedly" require some bs SHA-1 update but for gods sake, fock that !!!!!!!!!!!!! And all these dll updates to do MAYBE 1 or 2 things. WTF???????? Are we or not friggin programmers? oh yeah, fock the guys that have paid all the money every time you asked. And we did it willingly because we love you guys.

Lifetime Member

After living with this more, it appears to be an intermittent USB issue of some sort with the laptop itself. That first night it was extra stubborn, but since then I've been able to pretty much get what I want. I think the writing's on the wall for this old dinosaur, got it December 2008 I suppose it's had a good run.

Yeah, too bad we're forced to obsolete OS's.

Lifetime Member

you are probably having issues with the usb connector in the v2. I've had to replace mine 3-4x.... V2 works fine with windows 11. I do use v8 though.

Thanks
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

always handy to keep a good known backup tune saved to the onboard memory or sd card, that way u can flash it to the car without the use of a laptop.

+1.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    you are probably having issues with the usb connector in the v2. I've had to replace mine 3-4x.... V2 works fine with windows 11. I do use v8 though.

Thanks
    This issue is back and this time it's a hard fail, I have ZERO communication with the V2. It flashes for a moment when I first plug it in then it's dead. I plugged into a newer laptop and same deal. Can't scan, can't tune, can't do shit but it will still talk to the OBDII port. I really don't feel like shipping this thing clear across the globe for what I hope is just a bum USB connector, hopefully someone local can do it. I'm not sure what types of folk I should be looking for, I had the case apart and it's way too small for me to solder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast