Thread: P01 Injector tuning

Default P01 Injector tuning

A few months back I swapped my green top SVO's for a set of Mototron 60 (INJ-GAS-006) so my step daughter could fix her '95 Z28... little did I know the trouble I was causing myself! I have a lot of injector data from many sources but none of it matches up and no matter who's data I used, the tune was waaaay off. My tune originated with LS1edit back in the good old days and was never the best so I bit the bullet and built a COS5 tune from a stock 2002 LS1 Camaro M6 to match my car. The car runs much better but was super lean with 72lbs in the injector flow rate. To get it close, I took 2% out until idle was nearing stoich. While it runs much better, it's not good enough. AFR ranges from 11 -12 under accel and around 15-16 decel. cruise is 14-15. Sometimes it hits 18-19 like when you get off the gas.

So my question is, how does one go about tuning an unknown injector or when the data is not available? I seem to recall there was a method posted to dial in the injectors but can't find it anywhere.
    2001 Camaro SS
    EFILive Custom OS3

What is the nominal flow rate at 3 bar of your new injectors...?

What was the flow rate of the old at 3 bar and at 4 bar (in the B4001 IFR table) ones...?

I wish I knew for sure. They are older mototrons about the same vintage as my incon kit (2003) and my best recollection is they are rated at 60lbs at 43.5 psi.

B4001 in the original tune with green top SVO injectors ranged from 4.890 to 5.320 or 43.5lb at 3 bar

the calculated data for the Mototron 60's posted by Fuel Injector Connection ranged 9.0975 to 9.941 - also pig rich... and what's running better now is 7.546875 flat across the board (MAP referenced FPR)
    2001 Camaro SS
    EFILive Custom OS3

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by SS2win View Post
    A few months back I swapped my green top SVO's for a set of Mototron 60 (INJ-GAS-006) so my step daughter could fix her '95 Z28... little did I know the trouble I was causing myself!
    Sounds like you still don't know how much trouble you're causing yourself. Those are the WORST injector ever made. I've seen huge bank to bank imbalances with those injectors... impossible to dial in. Do yourself a favor and throw those things away. Get some decent injectors.

Quote Originally Posted by SS2win View Post
    So my question is, how does one go about tuning an unknown injector or when the data is not available? I seem to recall there was a method posted to dial in the injectors but can't find it anywhere.
    It can be done, but a method has never been published as far as I know. Some of the guys over on the Ford side of the HPTuners forum were on the right track, but they never quite figured out how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by statesman View Post
    Sounds like you still don't know how much trouble you're causing yourself. Those are the WORST injector ever made. I've seen huge bank to bank imbalances with those injectors... impossible to dial in. Do yourself a favor and throw those things away. Get some decent injectors.
    Oh, I have sure figured it out! They were really popular back in the day... I have two sets that I got in a trade or with other parts.

I'm probably going to just get a DIFFERENT set because this is pure BS!! I'm starting to think they are counterfeit on top of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by statesman View Post
    It can be done, but a method has never been published as far as I know. Some of the guys over on the Ford side of the HPTuners forum were on the right track, but they never quite figured out how to do it.
    I found a post on HPT forum that discusses the math and using a properly calibrated MAF... which SD tuning/COS3 disabled long ago. I could put them on my truck and mess with it but probably won't find the time. Would be interesting to mess with but I have more to do than that! lol

Thanks for the feedback!!!!!
    2001 Camaro SS
    EFILive Custom OS3