Thread: 2010 Ram 2500 Cruise control issues

Angry 2010 Ram 2500 Cruise control issues

I recently bought a ram 2500 6.7 Cummins after owning a 5.9 for years and never having any trouble. This truck seems to work like a dream but I have been chasing a nagging issue. The cruise control does not work.

I have replaced the witch and brake switch (with OE parts) thinking that might be a quick fix but that did not work. I know the truck has been tuned with EFI live, but I have removed the tune and had it retuned thinking that the cruise issue was related to the tune. I checked all wiring and verified that I had the correct voltages at the switch and through the clock spring. I also found alpha OBD that allows me to look at various vehicle parameters and noticed that within the PCM cruise control shows not equipped. It is a Laramie truck so I know it came with cruise.

I have heard that the tune can disable this feature but I was confident that I got around that issue by removing the tune. I then suspected that there was an internal fault within the PCM and I sent the truck to the dealer to have this “verified by a factory trained professional” and they seemed to come up with the same findings.

I replaced the PCM (wow they like those things!!) but the cruise is still showing not equipped.

I really like the truck and would hate to see it go for something so simple but I am not sure what else it could be. I made a post previously and found that there were some who have had similar experiences but I wasn’t able to figure out what they ended up finding to be the fix.

Verify that you are using the proper base file for that truck. If an incorrect base file is used (2011/2012) the cruise may not work.

Since you've mentioned using AlphaOBD to check vehicle parameters, it might be worth exploring if there are any specific diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) related to the cruise control system. Sometimes, certain DTCs can provide valuable insights into the underlying cause of the issue.