Thread: Program a new ECM

Default Program a new ECM

I'm might be looking at replacing my ECM. I believe this is the part number #12633238. Truck is a 2012 Silverado with 5.3L afm. I would like to know if I can program it with efilive, or if I would still need to take it into a dealer. Does anyone know?

I am having a mystery misfire issue p0307, where everything checks out good. I know the lifters have issues, but my rockers seem to be moving good while running, the cam lobes look good, and the lifters are free in the bores. I've checked or replaced everything else. So if I get this problem fixed, I'll want to disable the afm anyway, which I hope I can do with efilive.

So can you avoid going to the dealer for ecm programming by using efilive?
    2006 K2500 CC LB LBZ Diesel

I guess no one is using efilive to program a new ecm. I got a new ecm, flashed great, vin change seems to have worked. Won't start. CEL flashes. P0602 control module not programmed. Can't find any information past others posting the same question, and not getting an answer.

Looks like I need to waste some money and have the dealer program it.

I figured I'd try replacing the ecm rather than rebuild the engine when I can't find a fault with either. I know ecms are better at hiding their wierd faults.
    2006 K2500 CC LB LBZ Diesel

Hiya,
    I don't use EfiLive to program a NEW ecm, only used one's from same make,model,engine,trans. I use a MDI and GM SPS for that so all modules are written, including the slave modules. Neither EfiLive nor HpTuners program the slave modules(7,8). Then when all modules are written, you have to do a VATS relearn and crank/cam relearn.

p.s. Are you sure it's p0307 and not p0300? Chances are you have a bad DOD lifter.
    Last edited by In-Tech; February 21st, 2023 at 09:29 AM.

Lifetime Member

You cannot use EFILive to program a brand new ECM, you must use SPS.

To perform your DOD delete on the software side once you've removed the DOD lifters, you need to use EFILive as SPS will not do it.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.