Thread: 2006 LLY - To tune or not to tune

Default 2006 LLY - To tune or not to tune

So for the 6 years I've had this truck I assumed that all 2006 Silverados with the Duramax had the LBZ engine.... I also assumed that since mine wouldn't "light the tires up" was because it was a dually. Just learned I could tell by the serial number what motor it had and came to learn I had the LLY. I also learned the 2006 LLY had the improvements of the LBZ mechanically but NOT the ECM that gave it the additional HP and torque. It's a great truck and has been very reliable. I could use a little more power but it's actually ok as it is for my use of primarily pulling a 21' center console boat.
    However, I would like more MPG and I've heard the LBZ was a couple of MPG better when driven responsibly. I've done enough research to find that tuning one or even getting info on tuning one isn't as simple as I'd assume it to be. *Too many salesman and not enough actual facts.
    My 1st question is basically: Is there a reliable off the shelf, plug and play tuner that will give me more MPG, HP and torque without going to a shop and forking out $$$?
    Second question is: Has anyone out there tuned their '06 LLY and what is their advice to doing it (or not doing it)?
    Final question is can I expect better MPG and power from a tune or is tuning really all about additional HP/torque vs economy?
    Thanks in advance

Lifetime Member

Ive used these guys often on duramax trucks. https://duramaxtuner.com/
    I tried tuning a couple trucks several years ago and had no clue what i was doing. Started using Duramaxtuner guys and they are nice to work with.
    years ago you could get a few MPG gains with a tune, havent messed with them since then tho.

Thank you nonnieselman. A quick look at their website doesn't recognize the '06 LLY which is different than the '04 and '05 they advertise tuners for AND it's different than the '06 LBZ so I guess a phone call will be in order. More to follow.

I would absolutely tune the truck. I really wouldn't recommend any of the off the shelf tuners, custom tuning is simply the best when done well. You could start with tuning the truck to factory LBZ power level, and if you're happy with that, leave it there.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stuartfarms View Post
    Thank you nonnieselman. A quick look at their website doesn't recognize the '06 LLY which is different than the '04 and '05 they advertise tuners for AND it's different than the '06 LBZ so I guess a phone call will be in order. More to follow.
    They are awesome to talk to. They will take care of all your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuartfarms View Post
    The '06 LLY' is in fact a LBZ in every way other than the tuning. In fact, there is a GM calibration that turns the 06 LLY' into a LBZ calibration wise.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk