Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Internet security and antivirus

Quote Originally Posted by joecar
    I'm using Norton Internet Security
    That's the first problem... The home versions of symantecs products suck... the only symantec products worth anything are the corporate versions.... But Internet Security REALLY sucks... has caused more problems than you can imagine.

I use Trend Micro PC-Cillin Interent Security 2006 as a firewall and A/V Anti Malware program as a first line of software protection:
    http://www.trendmicro.com/en/product...e/overview.htm

I recommend XBlock's X-cleaner for a secondary Anti-Malware and session cleaner. For the cost, it's amazing:
    http://www.xblock.com/deluxe.php

Two freeware programs make up the tertiary line, Spybot S&D:
    http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html

and Adaware SE:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Adaware catches a few MRU's that the others don't find, and Spybot seems as comprehensive as X-Cleaner, and also gets a few MRU's that the other's don't find. It also features a great set of tools for Malware protection.

Of course for those using Windows XP, the Windows Update site is a must visit weekly, and common sense is also a must when using data from remote sites.
    Early EFILive V5 user - Upgraded from AutoTap for DOS!
    2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, A4 - For occasional day trips...
    1984 Chevrolet Caprice Classic - For the family...
    1989 Honda VTR250 - For me and me only...

Lifetime Member

I've used Symantecs, Microsofts, Spybot, Adaware, AG and others and ALL of them missed stuff that Panda picked up right after them. Not to mention, running all those programs to pickup various stuff really bogs your system down. There is a reason why major corporation use Panda world wide and just because it's not as "famous" in the states as Symantec or Mcaffee is actually good. They have a free trial, Platium 2006 is the entire package in one. Dare I say it's like comparing EFILive to HPT?

There are a number of products, but no single one can do it all. It is a good idea to "get a second opinion" when dealing with malware.

BTW for my use, only the PC-Cillin A/V-Firewall is loaded in memory, the others are selected and used as needed. (I have 83% system resources free as I type...)
    Early EFILive V5 user - Upgraded from AutoTap for DOS!
    2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, A4 - For occasional day trips...
    1984 Chevrolet Caprice Classic - For the family...
    1989 Honda VTR250 - For me and me only...

Quote Originally Posted by John Skiba
    I've used Symantecs, Microsofts, Spybot, Adaware, AG and others and ALL of them missed stuff that Panda picked up right after them. Not to mention, running all those programs to pickup various stuff really bogs your system down. There is a reason why major corporation use Panda world wide and just because it's not as "famous" in the states as Symantec or Mcaffee is actually good. They have a free trial, Platium 2006 is the entire package in one. Dare I say it's like comparing EFILive to HPT?
    I have been using Panda Platinum for a while now and must agree that it is better than the many other products I have tried. None are perfect, but Panda is one of the better ones, and it is so much faster and less obtrusive than most.

Quote Originally Posted by ringram
    Yeah I vote AVG too, free is good.
    Use the XP firewall, that for AV and something like the microsoft spyware tool (also free) for spyware. All up zero cost and just as good.
    We are cheap and think alike.

2000 C5 Coupe, 6M, Callies/Mahle stroked LS7 (441), Blackwing, Halltech, LS3 intake, 90mm Shaner TB, ported L92 heads, FAST 50# inj, not too much cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers , 3" catless mid pipes, Z TIs, track suspension, , 3:90 rear, EFI V2, LM-2, etc.
    PowrMax Performance

100 mm PowrMAF

LM-2 EFILIve package with TAQ -sLM2 V-2 serial cable> Package deals

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Melton
    We are cheap and think alike.

Im an IT Architect so get all my stuff for free anyway, but given the bill there is no way Id pay for the commercial stuff. Id use open source and free for home use stuff all the time.
    Get EFILive in europe (http://www.efilive.eu).
    2007 Escalade ESV L92 6.2L VVT.
    2014 VF SV LS3 Maloo.

Lifetime Member

[quote=Tydriver]In case anyone else is looking for AVG Free antivirus, I found a mirror site here:

The real site is just http://free.grisoft.com which gets you right there with no problem or searching.

Ira

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123