Thread: Newbie getting close but no cigar, need help with tune. Files attached.

Default Newbie getting close but no cigar, need help with tune. Files attached.

I've got a 94 land cruiser I've done a swap on and am having a tough time getting some of the basic tune procedures down.

Using swingtan's vve method I thought I was figuring it out but am definitely missing some stuff. A big part of my issue is simply using V8, I cannot seem to figure out how to playback to a point in the file so I can see what is going on. I can play and stop but can't move to a specific point. Have literally spent hours playing with it.

Struggling with a ~4k rpm miss and a hot no re-start condition.

The good news, I completely rebuilt the 5.3, and the 4l80e and even machined my own drums/set backlash etc and mechanically it's solid.

Someone please help before I blow something up

Here's a couple pics of the swap.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230901_104458.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	24476

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230901_104509.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	24477
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by El_Jaco; September 1st, 2023 at 06:08 AM. Reason: add pictures

A bit of an update, I smoothed out the main ve map and it helped a lot. I played with the PE settings and improved that a bit.. I tried to re-enable the MAF and got stumped there. I don't have B1097 or B1098. I assumed that B8151 is what swingtan was talking about but it doesn't seem to help much. Attached updated tune...

Anyone doing remote tuning? this learning curve is pretty steep lol
    Attached Files Attached Files

Starting to figure this out... Still a ways to go.

My MAP scaler was way off. So were a lot of settings in the file I got from my buddy. I was running in the very top part of the n/a map becuase someone had played with this thing, for some reason...

First lesson I got was; be careful with files you get from a buddy lol...

The PE settings were really strange, and with the MAP scaler being off it was making things quite challenging.

The transmission was set to lock up TCC at WOT. That showed up and felt as a dip in 2nd gear (and 3rd). This really messed me up, it was not something I thought would/could or should be programmed into a trans. Not to mention it can't be good for the torque converter. I figured there was something the engine was doing to cause the dip- once I figured that out I was really able to get after it.

The 09 van file I am using has a single table for the MAF sensor. Most other E38 stuff has 2 tables, one for high and one low frequency. The 2nd table ramps differently than the first and both are different in their log rates. I managed to make a little forumula in Excel and scale the 07 sensor tables to fill the entire 09 single table. This one was a eureka moment and really started to run well.

There are other things, little things that made a big difference. Trial by fire I guess; don't worry I'm not going to go out and start tuning for other people like I know what I'm doing or something; I don't lol. I just like to do everything myself.

I'm still learning and coming along fairly well but biggest takeaway was to find a good stock file to begin with. I had a CTS V gas pedal to begin with and had to swap wires in the harness to make that work. Mixing and matching components can be done but is a lot of work. From my understanding some mix/matches cannot be corrected as well.

Hope this helps someone, someday...