You say you had 18 for idle. Which table?

The ECM uses B5104 WHen your off the throttle. (Defines the base timing values when the throttle is closed (idle mode).)

The ECM uses B5122 When your off the throttle and the truck is slowing down.
(Base timing used when the throttle is closed and the vehicle is decelerating but the fuel has not been cutoff (DFCO).
It can actually be used to assist in controlling the deceleration rate of the vehicle.
The final spark value from this table will then have the greater value from B5116 Cold Engine Noise Reduction Table "Cold Engine Noise Reduction Table" or the Catalytic Converter lightoff spark retard tables.)

Once your on the throttle it uses B5101 unless the knock sensors are seeing knock. then it reverts to B5102 and slowly adds timing back till it reaches the B5101 timing.

I do agree that HP Tuners has taken over and it seems everyone uses their stuff now. Ive bought a few of them off guys that bought them to tune their truck and was quick to figure out it wasnt for them and needed some money.
I struggle to do tuning without being in the vehicle and listening and feeling how it reacts. I just know what has worked in other trucks and use that info to help others. Its been a long 20 years playing with this tuning stuff.
Now days i will install a Holley ECU in trucks and cars just for the ease of use and i can make changes with the customer driving the vehicle around with their laptop hotspot to their phone. Makes it much easier.