Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: tune for 2011 Chevy Silverado

Lifetime Member

You say you had 18 for idle. Which table?

The ECM uses B5104 WHen your off the throttle. (Defines the base timing values when the throttle is closed (idle mode).)

The ECM uses B5122 When your off the throttle and the truck is slowing down.
    (Base timing used when the throttle is closed and the vehicle is decelerating but the fuel has not been cutoff (DFCO).
    It can actually be used to assist in controlling the deceleration rate of the vehicle.
    The final spark value from this table will then have the greater value from B5116 Cold Engine Noise Reduction Table "Cold Engine Noise Reduction Table" or the Catalytic Converter lightoff spark retard tables.)

Once your on the throttle it uses B5101 unless the knock sensors are seeing knock. then it reverts to B5102 and slowly adds timing back till it reaches the B5101 timing.

I do agree that HP Tuners has taken over and it seems everyone uses their stuff now. Ive bought a few of them off guys that bought them to tune their truck and was quick to figure out it wasnt for them and needed some money.
    I struggle to do tuning without being in the vehicle and listening and feeling how it reacts. I just know what has worked in other trucks and use that info to help others. Its been a long 20 years playing with this tuning stuff.
    Now days i will install a Holley ECU in trucks and cars just for the ease of use and i can make changes with the customer driving the vehicle around with their laptop hotspot to their phone. Makes it much easier.

I apologize for not posting a file yet. I will in the next day or two, some family stuff going on. Then there is work too

Quote Originally Posted by nonnieselman View Post
    You say you had 18 for idle. Which table?

The ECM uses B5104 WHen your off the throttle. (Defines the base timing values when the throttle is closed (idle mode).)

The ECM uses B5122 When your off the throttle and the truck is slowing down.
    (Base timing used when the throttle is closed and the vehicle is decelerating but the fuel has not been cutoff (DFCO).
    It can actually be used to assist in controlling the deceleration rate of the vehicle.
    The final spark value from this table will then have the greater value from B5116 Cold Engine Noise Reduction Table "Cold Engine Noise Reduction Table" or the Catalytic Converter lightoff spark retard tables.)

Once your on the throttle it uses B5101 unless the knock sensors are seeing knock. then it reverts to B5102 and slowly adds timing back till it reaches the B5101 timing.

I do agree that HP Tuners has taken over and it seems everyone uses their stuff now. Ive bought a few of them off guys that bought them to tune their truck and was quick to figure out it wasnt for them and needed some money.
    I struggle to do tuning without being in the vehicle and listening and feeling how it reacts. I just know what has worked in other trucks and use that info to help others. Its been a long 20 years playing with this tuning stuff.
    Now days i will install a Holley ECU in trucks and cars just for the ease of use and i can make changes with the customer driving the vehicle around with their laptop hotspot to their phone. Makes it much easier.
    i have been around performance upgrades all my life , wait....it is my life. but i never got in the brain before.. are locale guy is the one that said he would tune it then said no because i did the wrenching. that is how he started out was riding shot gun. i cant even guess how long this will take me to under stand but i know i can and would have tried to know a little before i built the truck.. my biggest worry is i took out a low compression (8.9) vvt 4.8L installed a 5.3L with a cam. there may not be a lot of difference in the two but i feel like there is. the 4.8 could get 60(+-) degree of timing with the VVT. 5.3L can get undder half of that so i would think it would change the tune like crazy.

18 in all them base cost low and high prolly a dumb idea but it got it to run. i really think my stock exhaust is why i cant really here it lope. altho sometimes it humps really hard and sounds like to 15 subs pounding and i have no codes when i drive. (most times)

might be cutting the cats out this weekend i am going to mess them up if i havent already.

Quote Originally Posted by In-Tech View Post
    I apologize for not posting a file yet. I will in the next day or two, some family stuff going on. Then there is work too
    i don't like most people because they will be mad at something you are doing for them for free and that absolutely blows my mind ITS FREE so at work someone will stop and need a tire. we dont sell used tires that way they cant sue us if it blows out. are fix for that is no paper trail. it sounds dumb but we live in a small town and people dont have money to buy new tires at the drop of a hat so we will give u a used tire put on if u plan to buy a new tire threw us. most come back in a week or two to buy a tire some don't and will be mad if something goes wrong with a used tire after 6 months of driving on it.

take all the time you need and i appreciate you for taking the time to do this for someone u dont know
    Last edited by Rwhite85; November 10th, 2023 at 02:38 PM.

nonnieselman not sure how to get rid of the other post
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lifetime Member

Post which tune you have in the truck when the 3 data logs were taken

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rwhite85 View Post
    i have been around performance upgrades all my life , wait....it is my life. but i never got in the brain before.. are locale guy is the one that said he would tune it then said no because i did the wrenching. that is how he started out was riding shot gun. i cant even guess how long this will take me to under stand but i know i can and would have tried to know a little before i built the truck.. my biggest worry is i took out a low compression (8.9) vvt 4.8L installed a 5.3L with a cam. there may not be a lot of difference in the two but i feel like there is. the 4.8 could get 60(+-) degree of timing with the VVT. 5.3L can get undder half of that so i would think it would change the tune like crazy.

18 in all them base cost low and high prolly a dumb idea but it got it to run. i really think my stock exhaust is why i cant really here it lope. altho sometimes it humps really hard and sounds like to 15 subs pounding and i have no codes when i drive. (most times)

might be cutting the cats out this weekend i am going to mess them up if i havent already.
    Your not going to be running 60* timing under any load. On decel it might have gone in the 50s tho.

I noticed your B0104 is still setup for a 4.8L... Change that to .662L for the 5.3 cylinder volume.

Removing cats might help some.

Where did you buy this camshaft?

Quote Originally Posted by nonnieselman View Post
    Your not going to be running 60* timing under any load. On decel it might have gone in the 50s tho.

I noticed your B0104 is still setup for a 4.8L... Change that to .662L for the 5.3 cylinder volume.

Removing cats might help some.

Where did you buy this camshaft?

got the cam from a buddy not sure where he got it.. i trust the guy he said it was a sloppy stage 2. the last three logs are the tune that is in the truck i am running my maf coming in at 1200 rpm it runs the best runng from the maf tables i think i said that right. here is the tune
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cam.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	24544  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Rwhite85; November 11th, 2023 at 05:02 AM.

Lifetime Member

That looks like one of the sketchy Ebay pictures.

thats all he had to give me for the cam specs cam been in the truck for a few months now no issues so far

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast