Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Put Z06 cam in 4.8 truck

Default Put Z06 cam in 4.8 truck

I just put my stock cam out of my 02 Z06 into my brother single cab 4x4 4.8 5 speed truck. Without tuning it started right up and ran fine. The truck had 87 gas in it when I went to tune it yesterday so I didnt want to play with the timing to much, added a couple of degree's with no KR. I got the truck tuned and it runs really well for just a cam swap. But I started thinking, could I have just copy my stock timing table from my z06 over to the truck or would that have been a bad idea since the truck is tuned completly differnt than a z06.

Lot's of significant differneces in the engine configurations. I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

The truck is 100% stock except for the cam change, well it has a k&n air filter and a flow master muffler which were on the truck when he bought it. The truck pulls a lot of timing at wot due to the high IAT. The air box must really suck in this thing, the IAT had been around 110-130 all the time driving around. It has been around 100 here with high humity but still, I figured the IAT wouldn't be that high. Its been around 100 in my vette so I guess the truck isnt that far off. Im going to dyno it today to the gain.

I put the same cam in my truck (4.8 ). I had to bump up the RAF a little to keep it from surging and stalling at idle, but you probably can get away with it stock with the 5-speed. The cam does pull a LOT stronger from about 3500 on up, but it did give up a little below 3000. Also, I lost about 1-2 MPG on the highway with this cam. I used to get about 17-18 on the highway and now I can only muster about 15-16. I think it's cause it doesn't have good cylinder filling and doesn't make enough torque with out boost to push my heavy truck at the 21-2400 rpm that I cruise at. I did add some more timing down low, which helped, but it could be better. For what I paid for the cam and spring, ($130) it was probably the best $/pr horse power mod I've made. I'd guess with the turbo, I picked up about 40+hp with this cam and it still drive like stock
    Last edited by kbracing96; August 10th, 2006 at 06:54 AM.
    01 ECSB 1/2 ton 4x4 Forged 5.7 LS1 GMC

Custom KBracing front mounted, BW S480, intercooled turbo

Thats weird, maybe its the 5-speed but this thing idled perfect without any tuning. I even drove about 5 miles with no tuning and it ran fine. I have heard the cam only adds anywhere from 30-50 at the wheels. I couldnt get on the dyno today but have it booked for tomorrow so I will know then. I hoping his mileage went up, since my brother drove 1200 miles one way to get me to put the cam in, he was at 17mpg. The really wakes up after 3,000rpm and pulls all the way to redline, which I set at 6k. It feels like it picked up some low end but thats SOP feeling.

It may be that I'm running SD and COS3 with semi open loop, where your still using the MAF. Mine drove fine after installing it, it was just the RAF was maxout at idle so I bumped it up a little bit and it was happy. I'd be very intersted in seeing what kind of gains you acualy did get with it .
    01 ECSB 1/2 ton 4x4 Forged 5.7 LS1 GMC

Custom KBracing front mounted, BW S480, intercooled turbo

It idles fine with or without the MAF. Since its all stock I just left the MAF in. Im going to dyno it tomorrow along with my car. I will post up. It did 230rwhp stock with big mud grips on it.

Have you logged WB AFR to see what it's doing...?
    Or if you're in CL, what are the LTFT's...?
    Post a pic of the log chart...

Hey, it's running good, good work.

IIRC, the intake manifolds are significantly differnet truck vs vette. If an ls6 will fit, throw it on

Yeah I logged WB AFR, there is no other way to tune IMO. I have everything at 1.0 and .99. and at WOT the is a/f 12.7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast