Thread: running a 2014 LV3 E92 without TCM or speed sensor

Smile running a 2014 LV3 E92 without TCM or speed sensor

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has had success converting one of these engines for standalone use or for running on the engine dyno. I'm working with one that was flashed with another manufactures tool. With the stock cal and just VATS patch applied it starts and idles but barely takes any throttle and the response is very slow to the pedal. Full throttle TPS percentage sits at 25%. Searching around the internet I have noticed others with the same problem. I suspect that even though the calibration switch is set for manual transmission, the torque model is broken without the TCM controller in the loop.

So to summarize :

1. Anyone had success getting a LV1 or LV3 running properly without the gearbox controller connected ?
    2. Is my conclusion correct, that with the TCU removed, the torque model is broken ?
    3. Is there a manual gearbox segment swap that can be done using EFILive ?

Any input here is appreciated.

Have you pulled the DTC's? Do you know if the CAN bus has a resistor installed in place of the TCM? In the calibration there is a parameter that kills throttle response in the event of a TCM/ECM communication fault.

Quote Originally Posted by RC1 View Post
    Have you pulled the DTC's? Do you know if the CAN bus has a resistor installed in place of the TCM? In the calibration there is a parameter that kills throttle response in the event of a TCM/ECM communication fault.
    I don't have a current list of dtc's but the last time I checked the only dtc's that were present were permanent so they could not be erased.

Thanks for that bit of information, I was not aware that the ecu would limit or kill throttle response if it could not talk to the TCM.

There is no resistor on the CAN bus, do you mean a 120 ohm terminating resistor ? Won't the ecu still be unhappy if it does not see the actual TCM ?

Just a day ago I was able to get a 2014 Mexico LV3 manual transmission calibration, the next time I can work on the vehicle I plan to flash it with this cal to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by RC1 View Post
    Also, is this a parameter that is accessible in the editor ? If so could you share that parameter ?

The parameter I'm thinking of is B8311. It doesn't kill throttle by description, but limits the torques output in the case where there is a CAN error with the TCM. If your harness has the 16 pin TCM connector unhooked, I believe you need to have the 120 ohm resistor in that CAN line.