Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pull timing with bidirectional controls to test for KR?

Default Pull timing with bidirectional controls to test for KR?

I'm getting KR and it seems to be mostly in the upper RMS. I'm getting 9.9 KR at 3600 RPM, but then it fades to about 1.1 from there on up. Could someone post some table numbers so I could pull timing at 3600? Maybe I could use the bidir controls and log while using the bidir controls? Could someone help me figure out this KR?

Thanks!

Xtntct,

Your log has the information you need to pull some timing...

Make sure Scan Tool and Tune Tool are working with the same units.

In Scan Tool make sure it shows the correct vin/os/trans.
    In Tune Tool enable the option for data linking and runway highlighting.

In Scan Tool, put cursor on the KR spike, and highlight a few frames around it (click and drag);

In Tune Tool, open the Hi Octane Table B5913 (if running MAF) or the Lo Octane Table B5914 (if running SD);
    here you should see highlighted (crossed highlighting) the timing cell(s) giving the timing for the frames highlighted in the Scan Tool.

You can now select those cells (click-drag) and subtract some timing (enter negative value in box in toolbar and press "+/-" button next to it), and smooth/blend around a little.

Also, in the Scan log, check your AFR (actual from WBO) and if it's lean, go to the PE vs RPM table B3618 and richen the AFR; and also enable the PE with a little less thottle B3616 starting from the highlighted RPM (3600).

If your actual AFR is off from your commanded AFR, you may consider doing an Auto VE Tune.
    Last edited by joecar; August 27th, 2006 at 05:52 AM.

Holy crap...that's awesome! Thanks joecar!

I couldn't find the data linking, but I was able to turn on runaway highlighting and got this!

That looks pretty out of wack to me! How much should I subtract to start with?

Thanks!

PS. Soooo glad I went w/ EFI Live.

By the way...You can see what I selected (in grey) in the Scan tool to get the selection above in the Tuning tool.

In the Scan Tool map, click on upper left box (where the headings intersect) to highlight all cells, right click, "Copy With Labels";

In the Tune Tool timing table, click in upper left box (where the headings intersect) to highlight all cells, right click, Paste->"Paste And Subtract With Labels";

This will subtract all those KR amounts; log again and see if it KR's.

It didn't look like he posted enough of the timing table to see the commanded timing at 3600/ .60 cyl. I have seen that knock at 3600, well below peak VE, can lean towards more false knock the actual. Without know how much timing is being commanded its tough to predict. You could as a check throw 15 degrees of timing in the cells and see what happens. If you have headers and exhaust, check to make sure that nothing is rattling around that could cause false knock.

Joe, you posted something that caught my eye! When in SD the pcm ONLY uses the low-octane table for timing???? Makes sense since SD is a backup to the MAF system and the PCM thinks the car is in trouble. Is this correct?

Howard

www.redline-motorsports.net

1-954-703-5560

2006 ZO6 895/866 with APS TT
    2010 SSRS Camaro HTR-900TT (798/801)
    2011 HTR-850R Camaro
    2012 ZL1 Auto (10.33@135 MPH) Video Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Redline Motorsports
    It didn't look like he posted enough of the timing table to see the commanded timing at 3600/ .60 cyl. I have seen that knock at 3600, well below peak VE, can lean towards more false knock the actual. Without know how much timing is being commanded its tough to predict. You could as a check throw 15 degrees of timing in the cells and see what happens. If you have headers and exhaust, check to make sure that nothing is rattling around that could cause false knock.

Joe, you posted something that caught my eye! When in SD the pcm ONLY uses the low-octane table for timing???? Makes sense since SD is a backup to the MAF system and the PCM thinks the car is in trouble. Is this correct?

Howard
    Howard,

Yes, (unless using a COS) when running SD (any of the DTC's P0101, P0102, or P0103 is present) the PCM is in failure mode and uses the low octane table instead sliding between both.

Running a COS gives you both tables.

Cheers
    Joe

Is there a reason why runaway highlighting isn't turned on by default?

Here's a bigger screenshot of the high octane table. I do have headers and exhaust. They don't sound like they're hitting the floor though. They used to and I could feel the timing being pulled, but now I don't.

Why is it that when I Paste And Subtract With Labels, the changes don't occur where it was originally highlighted?

Quote Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
    Why is it that when I Paste And Subtract With Labels, the changes don't occur where it was originally highlighted?
    It aligns the cells with the labels and operates on those.

Pics...?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast