Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Problems with CKP relearn on 2001 12200411 PCM

Default Problems with CKP relearn on 2001 12200411 PCM

I converted a TPI engine to use the 12200411 PCM with a modified Express Van calibration.

The engine started right up and threw the following (expected) codes:

I was unable to successfully perform the crank relearn procedure. I initially had a transmission code P1810 that was preventing the relearn procedure, but after disabling that code, I still can't perform the relearn. I can press the relearn button and see the countdown, but when I rev the engine it'll go beyond 5,000rpm and never cut out the injectors. I've disabled all codes that EFILive is saying will prevent the CKP relearn procedure. I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

Lifetime Member

Does the car know its in park?
    EFILive - The Single version of the Truth

Larry - HumpinSS

Or does the PCM know the position of the brake pedal?
    Al
    PS. if the donor file is a manual (not in this case) make sure the PCM knows the position of the clutch pedal.
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

Kewl project in either case. Are you using the 4L60-E, 4L80-E or another transmission?
    AL

If he's running a 700R4 trans, does he just need to ground the park/neutral wire?
    98 Chevy truck RCSBFS 2wd/5.7L/4L60E:drive:/Paxton Novi 2000 S/C @ 7psi / Megasquirt
    72 Chevelle LQ9/4L80E/GT42 conversion in the works
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449129

Grounding the P/N wire will allow CKP learn to take place. If he uses a switch then he can take advantage of the idle tables as well. You can use a switch that grounds for the starter neutral safety "relay" and then it can double as a P/N switch to the PCM.
    AL

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
    Does the car know its in park?
    I tried to spoof park and still no luck. I even tried chaning to a manual transmission. I couldn't see how to do this with EFILive, so I modified the PCM with TunerCat OBDII to change the tranny from an auto to manual. Still no good.

Quote Originally Posted by ChipsByAl
    Or does the PCM know the position of the brake pedal?
    Al
    PS. if the donor file is a manual (not in this case) make sure the PCM knows the position of the clutch pedal.
    The PCM does not know the position of the brake pedal. I suppose that would have to do with the TCC clutch power wire? If I recall, that's the only signal from the brake switch.

I'll have a chance to look at this this weekend. I'm still unclear on the difference between the gear selector switch used in the Express van and the lack of that switch in the f-body. Don't know how that affects the PCM. The gear select switch has four wires from the PCM and the f-body only has two (pins 32 and 34 on the blue PCM connector). Even the colors changed. I expected to ground the orange/black wire to indicate park/neutral, but when I built the harness using the Express schematics, that wire is white and goes to "Transmission Range Switch P" (pin 34 on the blue PCM connector).

As far as the brake signal is concerned I see one input to the PCM, the purple TCC wire. That wire receives 12v when the pedal is not depressed and is open when the pedal is depressed. I have that wire open on the test stand. So I'm not convinced that the brake has to be depressed to perform the CKP relearn. It may be a safety precaution.

So that leaves me stumped again. Thanks for the ideas to this point. Any others are welcome!

Here's a video of the engine running on the test stand (still without the relearn).

http://www.eficonnection.com/12200411/12200411.mpg

To perform the crank variation learn procedure with the Tech2, the brake pedal needs to be pressed. It may need to see the change as well, but I am not sure. I haven't used EFI live to do the learn yet so I can't comment on that. In either case I would try to simulate the switch. Disabling the brake switch or P/N codes doesn't change the PCM's "mind."

As far as the PRNDL switch wiring not being on the F-car, I wouldn't concern myself about that. The Camaro does not have the display in the cluster, it is on the shifter and moves with the lever only. The function of this switch could be added to EFI_Live to be enabled or disabled.
    AL

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast