Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FlashScan weekly update March 19, 2004

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX
    Quote Originally Posted by deezel
    Can you turn on/off the black box logging without connecting to a laptop? This would be handy/necessary while waiting in the staging lanes, for example.
    Yes, there is single a push button on the unit for start/stop, with LED's to indicate what is going on.
    I can't wait, that is an awesome feature.

Blacky - Thanks for answering my question above.

Quote Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
    Quote Originally Posted by GMPX
    Quote Originally Posted by deezel
    Can you turn on/off the black box logging without connecting to a laptop? This would be handy/necessary while waiting in the staging lanes, for example.
    Yes, there is single a push button on the unit for start/stop, with LED's to indicate what is going on.
    I can't wait, that is an awesome feature.

Blacky - Thanks for answering my question above.
    Amen! This is gonna rock! I can't wait to try this out. I'm just ecstatic that I'll now have all of my scanning/tuning done w/ one cable and w/ one set of software. This is as close to nirvana as we could ask for!
    Whitney Roberts

Default Re: FlashScan weekly update March 19, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky
    The most likely solution (although by no means our final decision) will be a changeover arrangement - built into the upgrade price. i.e. it will be $X cheaper to upgrade if you swap your working AutoTap interface for a FlashScan interface. $X will be calculated based on the type of interface cable you have.
    If I understand this right? You mean you have to send your current B&B cable to you guys? So you can get the flash scan cable?

If this is the case I would not be willing to do that because I own the B&B cable not only for EFILive but also for auto tap. I have two other cars that I use auto tap with... I also use it for family member’s car and friends. I don’t want to give up the ability to use my generic scan tool.

I 1st got the version 1 cable and used only auto tap... when the version 2 cable came out I wanteed to upgraded to EFILive Pro and get the new cable + the new auto tap...

I think the current users should be able to buy the upgrade to flash scan cable + EFILive TUN “with the ability to tune and scan“ with out giving up the current B&B cable... I paid not only for EFILive but the cable and auto tap software.

Default Trade-In Policy

I think that for most of us a trade-in policy (pro rated according to the type of interface cable assembly) would work best. However, for those registered owners who might prefer to keep their existing set-up in its entirety, you could still offer a discounted purchase price for EFILive TUN FSP or EFILive TUN SW - PRO.

Eventually, you need to come up with some sort of upgrade price matrix to cover people who want to upgrade from FSP to PRO or through the various levels of limited VIN's through the unlimited VIN tuning capability.

Some of these pricing decisions can be deferred until you are farther down the road or until someone requests a specific upgrade path. That way you can focus on software/hardware/fabrication etc. that really requires your attention now.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance
    I 1st got the version 1 cable and used only auto tap... when the version 2 cable came out I wanteed to upgraded to EFILive Pro and get the new cable + the new auto tap...
    That is exactly why it is a difficult problem to solve.

I think the current users should be able to buy the upgrade to flash scan cable + EFILive TUN “with the ability to tune and scan“ with out giving up the current B&B cable... I paid not only for EFILive but the cable and auto tap software.
    We cannot and will not demand that anyone returns their AutoTap cable, it has other necessary uses besides EFILive.
    However that leaves our upgrade option open to abuse because people who upgrade and keep their cable could then on-sell their cable. That is not the purpose of an upgrade. And the purchaser would be left with a version of EFILive that could not be upgrade to the tuner version without knowing it.

We are still trying to figure out the most appropriate way to handle this issue.

Regards
    Paul

After much fighting with my wideband I dont think I'm going to hook it up to the PCM the way I wanted it. That means I'll be an early adopter of FlashScan.

Let me know if you need another beta tester.

Quote Originally Posted by 66ImpalaLT1
    After much fighting with my wideband I dont think I'm going to hook it up to the PCM the way I wanted it. That means I'll be an early adopter of FlashScan.

Let me know if you need another beta tester.
    Me too brother! Looking forward to the WB connector.
    --
    an avaliable Beta tester
    2001 Trans-Am - A4 w/2.73
    Current Mod List
    Best 1/4
    N/A - 12.56@110.51
    N2O - 11.43@123.66 100 shot

As long as we're talkin' about beta testers, I'll throw my hat into the ring, as well!
    Whitney Roberts

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky
    That is exactly why it is a difficult problem to solve.

We cannot and will not demand that anyone returns their AutoTap cable, it has other necessary uses besides EFILive.
    However that leaves our upgrade option open to abuse because people who upgrade and keep their cable could then on-sell their cable. That is not the purpose of an upgrade. And the purchaser would be left with a version of EFILive that could not be upgrade to the tuner version without knowing it.

We are still trying to figure out the most appropriate way to handle this issue.

Regards
    Paul
    I think the best would be the honor system... If efilive takes care of me (as they have) why would I copy their software???

I've liked your pricing for the scanner... fair although not cheap.
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

How many A/D inputs will the flashcan personal cable have (you said the shop version will have more).

Also, how will logging the analog inputs work in the scan tool software? Will you be able to setup calculated PIDs with lookup tables for something like A/F or will there be a different method?

The ability to log with only the cable is an awesome feature, but here is a suggestion that would make this the "ultimate" solution. An optional configurable display of some sort for permanent mounting in the car. You could configure it with the scantool software, but then allow continuous real time monitoring when the laptop is disconnected. It would not have to be anything fancy (just simple digital readouts). A few buttons to cycle through the configured PIDS and to display max and mins during last run would be awesome. A replay feature of the last log stored in memory would put the icing on the cake and we could just leave our laptops at home.

I think you would be amazed at how many people would be intrested in something like this. I know it is hard to view the display while driving, but let's face it (it just looks cool). Plus, I'm usually just checking up on things and making sure nothing crazy is going on (the laptop is needed for real tuning sessions).

Oh yea, if you need beta testers :lol: . I have lots of analog input already setup in my car.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast