Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low (but stable) idle, bad response when cold ...

Default Low (but stable) idle, bad response when cold ...

Well, after dialing in the VE tables as described in the AutoVE tutorial, I have some problems with the car when cold ... it idles fine, though about 200 lower than before, but I can hardly back it out of the garage and the driveway ... gotta get it up to around 1500 or so to keep it alive when I pull it out ... once it's warmed up a bit (not necessarily up to regular operating temperature, but something like 100F or so) it's fine ... idle's higher then, too ...
    Where do I have to adjust?
    Garry Glendown * '17 Fifty 2SS MT * 99 Firehawk Convertible (for sale)

The "100 or so" engine temp is the B4205 table switching to closed loop fueling at 92 *F (stock for 2k F-bod). Before the engine coolant gets to the B4205 temperature, the A:F is controlled by B3605.

Was B3605 set back to stock after the AutoVE process?

Has the MAF been calibrated?
    2009 Z06 LS7 / 2008 Sierra Denali AWD L92 6L80E
    Flashing control modules since 2001. 8-)
    Who needs a MAP sensor on a supercharged LS6 anyway.

Chances are it's running a little rich. Try leaning out the Fueling While in Open Loop table as mentioned above. At startup, it's probably commanding a mid 11 to mid 12 AFR. Bring it up to about 13.5 and see if that helps.

I think the SS's nailed it. Sounds a little right in the cooler area of the open loop fueling.

Whats your wideband say Garry?
    Have you also done the idle raf tuning? Or just ve?
    You might need to dial in desired airflow as when cooler you may not have the correct airflow.
    As the other guys say check your afr is ok first, then look to raf.
    Get EFILive in europe (http://www.efilive.eu).
    2007 Escalade ESV L92 6.2L VVT.
    2014 VF SV LS3 Maloo.

I basically have the same problem. The car struggles to stay running below 100 degress ECT. I am running Custom OS5 in Open Loop all the time. I have my desired airflow table dialed in. My IAC counts stay at 310 unless I give it some gas, then they come down and when I let off the gas they go back to 310. I have tried alot of things and the only thing that has slightly helped is drilling my throttle blade alittle. Once my car is up to full operating temp my IAC counts are about 130 where I thought they should be about 60 at hot idle. I really don't know what else to try.
    John
    2000 SS Camaro
    LSX 427 with GT55-94mm
    9.77 @ 157 4030 lbs race weight

Camaro - Shouldn't be a problem with IAC counts in the 130's at hot idle. Mine are in the 90-110 range (depends on my mood). 60ish is where a stock cam engine would fall into play. With a stock cam, it's easier to control idle due to the lack of overlap in the cam.

As for your stumbling, verify your AFR's below 100 (if you can), or try adjusting your fueling.

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro SS
    I basically have the same problem. The car struggles to stay running below 100 degress ECT. I am running Custom OS5 in Open Loop all the time. I have my desired airflow table dialed in. My IAC counts stay at 310 unless I give it some gas, then they come down and when I let off the gas they go back to 310. I have tried alot of things and the only thing that has slightly helped is drilling my throttle blade alittle. Once my car is up to full operating temp my IAC counts are about 130 where I thought they should be about 60 at hot idle. I really don't know what else to try.
    That sounds a little high still to me. If you don't want to drill the tb blade anymore, try opening up the tb via the set screw some. Then, do a TPS reset and make sure it still reads 0%. If you're LTIT's and STIT's are relatively close to "0" and your desired idle is truly in line, this along with leaning out the OL fueling table some is where your fix lies IMO.

Thanks guys I will try those suggestion.
    John
    2000 SS Camaro
    LSX 427 with GT55-94mm
    9.77 @ 157 4030 lbs race weight

I guess SSpd is probably right - haven't gotten around to some cold scanning, but from the way the car behaved today, it must be too rich - it idles fine, but pushing the throttle almost made it die ...
    Garry Glendown * '17 Fifty 2SS MT * 99 Firehawk Convertible (for sale)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast