Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swapping 12200411 PCM into 98 Chevy Truck

Quote Originally Posted by 350SS
    1. Will I be able to put the vin from my 98 into the 01 pcm so that it will read the correct vin when I go to smog my truck?

2. I would like to have a spare PCM handy in case something fries, and eventually will build a bench harness for testing purposes. Does each PCM require it's own license, or will it only require one if it's going into the same vehicle?

3. Does EFI Live require that you use a licence to scan and save a file? To do a full reflash of a PCM?

4. Is the 2 step rev limiter implemented in the 01270001 OS?
    1. You should be able to change the vin using the Scan Tool (goto Bidirectional->Change VIN).

2. Each PCM that you flash requires its own license based on PCM serial number (except 97/98) regardless of VIN/vehicle;
    if not already allocated, a license is allocated when you flash a particular PCM for the first time (goto Help->FlashScan PCM Licensing).

3. PCM license is only required when flashing; for scanning/saving (and generally connecting to vehicle to scan or read the PCM) you may need the software registration key and cable serial number (goto Help->Register EFILive).

4. Don't know, need someone else's input here.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar
    1. You should be able to change the vin using the Scan Tool (goto Bidirectional->Change VIN).

2. Each PCM that you flash requires its own license based on PCM serial number (except 97/98) regardless of VIN/vehicle;
    if not already allocated, a license is allocated when you flash a particular PCM for the first time (goto Help->FlashScan PCM Licensing).

3. PCM license is only required when flashing; for scanning/saving (and generally connecting to vehicle to scan or read the PCM) you may need the software registration key and cable serial number (goto Help->Register EFILive).

4. Don't know, need someone else's input here.
    Great! Thanks....
    98 Chevy truck RCSBFS 2wd/5.7L/4L60E:drive:/Paxton Novi 2000 S/C @ 7psi / Megasquirt
    72 Chevelle LQ9/4L80E/GT42 conversion in the works
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449129

Quote Originally Posted by 350SS
    Right, but I guess my question is, where do you configure in the pcm whether it needs to read a 4x or 60-2 crank sensor and 1x or 2x cam sensor? Is this an OS or .tun issue?
    I have done two different type conversions. The F-car has no problems with the the crank/cam sensors as they are identical. The other job is similar to the TPI setup above. We used the HVS (high voltage switch) distributor along with the plastic front timing cover with crank sensor. The 01-02 Express Van has this crank/cam sensor combination and therefore works fine.
    I still have not attempted to change the VIN to the 1998 type VIN. How does the smog police determine your PCM's VIN? Another question is would the scan device be generic enough to read a 1998 VIN in a PCM with 2001-2002 communication protocols?
    AL
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

Quote Originally Posted by ChipsByAl
    I have done two different type conversions. The F-car has no problems with the the crank/cam sensors as they are identical. ... How does the smog police determine your PCM's VIN? Another question is would the scan device be generic enough to read a 1998 VIN in a PCM with 2001-2002 communication protocols?
    AL
    Ok, so I guess I'm missing something...did the 12200411 PCM that you used in the 98 F-car swap come from a later year F-car or vehicle that uses the same crank, cam sensor setup?

I'm not sure if the smog police determines your vin from the pcm, I thought that maybe when they hooked up the OBD II scanner that it might.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar
    I found out that a buddy of mine put the vin from a 95 pickup into an '02 pcm controlling a 6.0L/4L80E combo, so I think were ok on putting the 98 vin into an 01-02 pcm, and based on the answer above, I think you can do this just via the scanner function

Thanks for the help.
    98 Chevy truck RCSBFS 2wd/5.7L/4L60E:drive:/Paxton Novi 2000 S/C @ 7psi / Megasquirt

The 12200411 PCM can be used in a variety of vehicles. The software loaded into it determines the vehicle it will be running. You can easily swap its contents from a Camaro to a C1500 and then to an Express Van. This would be the base file you need to use. I recommend the RoadRunner as well. You can make many changes quickly on the fly to get the base file honed in. The Express has a different air intake system from your truck and requires tweaking.
    Al

Lifetime Member

Al, Could you elaborate on the air intake system? They both use the 3 wire MAF and separate IAT sensor. Are they different somehow? --As in table configuration? Thanks----Lextech

Lex, welcome to the forum.

The Express van has a harsh 90 degree turn in the air intake and a built in MAF. The sensors all work the same, mostly VE differences would be noted.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Lextech
    Al, Could you elaborate on the air intake system? They both use the 3 wire MAF and separate IAT sensor. Are they different somehow? --As in table configuration? Thanks----Lextech
    I'm pretty sure Hog over on the PA performance board swapped out the 85mm Z06 maf into his truck, maybe James too...you might want to hit them up

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast