Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LTFC Cell Values

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

I would use all frames where the PCM is in closed loop mode. In that mode the PCM is operating from the VE table AND using fuel trim corrections. So the fuel trim corrections that are being logged in those frames will be true and accurate (well as accurate as the narrow band O2 sensors are functioning - which is not very accurate).

When the PCM is in open loop, the fuel trims logged in the scan tool are usually frozen at their last value in closed loop before entering open loop. i.e. you should see that when you stand on the throttle and accelerate hard. The PCM enters Power Enrichment mode and (obviously open loop) and freezes the LTFT values. No learning takes place, no trims are updated, no O2 feedback is taken into account. The PCM is just running off the VE table with no LTFT correction applied. However, without a wide band O2 sensor you don't get any feedback on the fuel status during that PE mode. So the data is useless for VE tuning.

I would not be concerned at differentiating between learning and not learning. The "Not Learning" condition will coincide with open loop 99% of the time. Some of the other times will be during evap purge and failed O2 sensor conditions.

Even if the PCM is not learning (assuming the O2's have not failed) the PCM will still be using the already learnt LTFT values and so the data logged for LTFT will still be valid.

Bottom line: discard all high throttle transients*, and all open loop data.

* For example, EFILive V7 has a filter that removes all frames where the throttle has changed by more than 10% in 100ms (i.e. since the previous frame).

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Thanks Paul.

You've been very patient with my questioning, and have provide very thorough answers.

I can now proceed confident that I am using the logged data correctly.

Much appreciated.

PS: Will the new EFILive release early next year work on the older GMH ECUs?

Thanks

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chuff
    PS: Will the new EFILive release early next year work on the older GMH ECUs?Thanks
    We will have ALDL scanning support (back to the VR Commodore) in FlashScan V2. When it will be available, I can't tell you. All I can say is FlashScan V2 is designed to scan the older GM vehicles and it is our plan to offer a complete tuning package as part of the EFILive V8 release.
    Mid-2007 might be too optimistic, second half of 2007 would be more likely.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123