Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MEFI 4 ECM definition file

3. - 3rd tab - timing - I am guessing this has something to do with the timings from my previous post - but not sure. Tunerpro list several different Commands:
    a. Mode 1 Message 0 ALDL request
    b. Mode 1 Message 2 ALDL request
    c. Mode 1 Message 4 ALDL request

all three of those ALDL request have byte strings and Timeout, Payload Offset, Payload Size, and Body Size values similar to the Chatter commands. Are these the timing values I am seeking? Or do I need to seek elsewhere? There are also two other commands, a clear all trouble codes command and a Command Message Normal Mode?

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Extinct View Post
    3. - 3rd tab - timing - I am guessing this has something to do with the timings from my previous post - but not sure. Tunerpro list several different Commands:
    a. Mode 1 Message 0 ALDL request
    b. Mode 1 Message 2 ALDL request
    c. Mode 1 Message 4 ALDL request

all three of those ALDL request have byte strings and Timeout, Payload Offset, Payload Size, and Body Size values similar to the Chatter commands. Are these the timing values I am seeking? Or do I need to seek elsewhere? There are also two other commands, a clear all trouble codes command and a Command Message Normal Mode?
    The timings are described in detail in the documentation - there's not much more I can add that is not already explained there.

The ALDL MODE byte values are pre-defined and listed in the drop down list box shown in the image below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aldl_mode.png 
Views:	465 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	13796

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post

Check those only if the ECM sends back a reply when EFILive transmits the stop/start chatter commands. You can verify that by turning on the menu option: View->Serial I/O. That will show the frames being sent/received.

Regards
    Paul
    Ok, and looking at the .adx file that has the macro listed as:

"Mode 8 Stop Chatter
    Reply - Mode 8 Stop Chatter"

and that the Reply -Mode 8 Stop Chatter field had as a "process data" check box that is checked, would it appear that the ECM sends back a reply?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aldl_mode_message.png 
Views:	389 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	13799

Ok, and looking at the .adx file that has the macro listed as:

"Mode 8 Stop Chatter
    Reply - Mode 8 Stop Chatter"

and that the Reply -Mode 8 Stop Chatter field had as a "process data" check box that is checked, would it appear that the ECM sends back a reply?
    I would assume so, yes.
    Paul

Ok, great, I am learning things tonight! Thanks for the help Paul. I need to study your post a bit more to make sure I can understand it fully, but I really appreciate the help and education.

BTW, part of the reason I am so keen on using EFILIve on this application is the MEFI-3 controller does not have much in the way of available inputs to use for O2 sensors the way old OBD-1 guys would use AC pressure or something like that for O2 sensor voltage. Therefore I am hoping to build a definition file and use my old EFILive blackbox with the external inputs to do input the 02 sensor reading.

Took the boat out this weekend and AFR was everywhere from 10:1 at WOT to 16:1 at cruise (used standalone LM-1 box).

OK, so reading the documentation more, and looking at the .adx file more, when I see something called a Byte string in the .adx file that looks like this:

0xF4 0x57 0x01 0x00 0xB4

I can interpret it as this:

Frame ID=F4
    Length=57
    Date Bytes=01&00
    Checksum=B4

and this would be relatively standard byte string for Mode 1 Message 0 ALDL request

Right ? I think I am beginning to understand more...

OK, so reading the documentation more, and looking at the .adx file more, when I see something called a Byte string in the .adx file that looks like this:

0xF4 0x57 0x01 0x00 0xB4

I can interpret it as this:

Frame ID=F4
    Length=57
    Date Bytes=01&00
    Checksum=B4

and this would be relatively standard byte string for Mode 1 Message 0 ALDL request

Right ? I think I am beginning to understand more...
    Yes, exactly. If you look at my most recent screen shot, you'll see exactly that frame.
    The length byte $57 is always $55+actual length - i.e. $57 means data length of 2.

P.S. Where you have typed 0x, EFILive uses $. Its just a C versus Pascal convention. C uses 0x to prefix hex numbers, Pascal uses $ to prefix hex numbers.
    Just FYI: EFILive is written in Delphi (i.e. Object Pascal), FlashScan firmware is written in C so I sometimes use 0x and sometimes I use $ and but mostly I just confuse myself.

Regards
    Paul

Extinct, looks like you're making good progress. Paul has kindly posted pretty much everything you need to translate the ADX into an EFILive xml file. If you want to post the xml file you have so far I'll have a look over the weekend, it makes it a bit hard to test without a controller to test it on.

P.S. I am a mechanical engineer too, this stuff is a little different but it once you understand it its not so bad. You'll find once you understand Efilive v4 it was years ahead of anything out there for ALDL, it still is the most stable effective datalogging tool for that comm protocol.

Therefore I am hoping to build a definition file and use my old EFILive blackbox with the external inputs to do input the 02 sensor reading.
    dont know what interface you are referring to there but as far as i know EFILive v4 only works with traditional ALDL cables. That is untill Paul get a chance to integrated it with v8 ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by kangsta View Post
    Extinct, looks like you're making good progress. Paul has kindly posted pretty much everything you need to translate the ADX into an EFILive xml file. If you want to post the xml file you have so far I'll have a look over the weekend, it makes it a bit hard to test without a controller to test it on.

P.S. I am a mechanical engineer too, this stuff is a little different but it once you understand it its not so bad. You'll find once you understand Efilive v4 it was years ahead of anything out there for ALDL, it still is the most stable effective datalogging tool for that comm protocol.

dont know what interface you are referring to there but as far as i know EFILive v4 only works with traditional ALDL cables. That is untill Paul get a chance to integrated it with v8 ;-)
    Thanks for the nice words Kangsta, although I don't really think I am making too much progress - mostly due to other time demands. Once I get a little further I would love to post the file to have you look over the file.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast