Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: MEFI 4 ECM definition file

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tunerpro to EFILive data file.jpg 
Views:	423 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	13833Ok, I am now finally working on building the .xml file. If you guys would be so kind as to take a look at the attached screenshot (example attribute is IAC Base Pos, I have a couple of questions:

1. What V4 field do I put the hex value of 18 into (0x18)?
    2. What V4 field do I put the hex value of 24 into?

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

0x18 hex is 24 decimal, its just the same value represented two different ways.
    The 24 is the position (offset) of the data byte in the data steam packet. That value is called the "Start" value in EFILive, so put 24 in "Start".
    The source data size is the same as EFILive's "Bits" field.

Note: If you have a 16 bit field, you have to specify the second byte as the start byte in EFILive, I'm not sure if the other package specifies the first byte.
    For example, say the RPM was 16 bits and the two 8 bit bytes took byte positions 14 and 15 in the data stream.
    In EFILive you would need to put 15 as the start byte and 16 as the bit size.
    In the other package, they may specify it as an offset of 14 - just something to watch out for.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    0x18 hex is 24 decimal, its just the same value represented two different ways.
    The 24 is the position (offset) of the data byte in the data steam packet. That value is called the "Start" value in EFILive, so put 24 in "Start".
    The source data size is the same as EFILive's "Bits" field.

Note: If you have a 16 bit field, you have to specify the second byte as the start byte in EFILive, I'm not sure if the other package specifies the first byte.
    For example, say the RPM was 16 bits and the two 8 bit bytes took byte positions 14 and 15 in the data stream.
    In EFILive you would need to put 15 as the start byte and 16 as the bit size.
    In the other package, they may specify it as an offset of 14 - just something to watch out for.

Regards
    Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by kangsta View Post
    First step would be to open the ADX in TunerPro and understand how the communications work then translate that info into how EFILive defines the data stream. It should be pretty straigh forward with that ECM. One thing to watch out for is that in the ADX the data item is defined by its starting offset and length (8,16bit). In EFILive its defind by the end offset and the length (8,16bit) so say if RPM was at offset 0x01 and 16bit in the ADX in EFILive it would be 0x03 and 16bit.
    OK, thanks for the tips guys. So just to make sure I understand the offset situation for 16 bit fields, I will use the RPM field which is a 16 bit field. It is 0x26|38, so in EFILive I need to put 39 as the start bit, is that correct?

If the RPM was defined as 16 bits and taking up byte positions 38 and 39, then in EFILive you have to specify the byte that contains "Bit 0" as the start byte. That means byte 39 is the start byte. See image below.

Name:	16bit.png 
Views:	312 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	13839
    The concept is that the bytes in the data stream are numbered left (low) to right (high). However, the bits in each 8-bit BYTE or 16-bit WORD are numbered right (low) to left (high).

Regards
    Paul

OK, still moving through populating all of the data fields. If you guys wouldn't mind taking a look at this example screen shot - have I left anything out that I need to populate in to the EFILive configuration (haven't started working on the dashboard or charts yet, that will come later - is that really required for the .xml file?)?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tunerpro to EFILive data file.png 
Views:	573 
Size:	876.7 KB 
ID:	13843

That looks ok, although you should make the EFILive "Code" field a nicer description than "4". It really should be "RPM" as that is what is displayed on the gauges and in the menus, see image.

Name:	captions.png 
Views:	433 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	13844

The "Chart", "Series" and "Dashboard" values simply tell the other parts of the EFILive software where to display the data. They are automatically set when you select the attribute (i.e. parameter) for display. Each chart and series and each gauge have a unique value associated with them that can be assigned to each attribute to cause that attribute to be displayed at that particular location. (see the documentation: Reference->Requests->Attributes for a list of the values)

In the screen shot above, the RPM parameter would have its "Dashboard" value set to 9, which is the unique value for the large gauge at the top of the dashboard.

Regards
    Paul

That looks ok, although you should make the EFILive "Code" field a nicer description than "4". It really should be "RPM" as that is what is displayed on the gauges and in the menus, see image.

Name:	captions.png 
Views:	433 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	13844

The "Chart", "Series" and "Dashboard" values simply tell the other parts of the EFILive software where to display the data. They are automatically set when you select the attribute (i.e. parameter) for display. Each chart and series and each gauge have a unique value associated with them that can be assigned to each attribute to cause that attribute to be displayed at that particular location. (see the documentation: Reference->Requests->Attributes for a list of the values)

In the screen shot above, the RPM parameter would have its "Dashboard" value set to 9, which is the unique value for the large gauge at the top of the dashboard.

Regards
    Paul
    OK, thanks for the advice. Somehow I thought the EFILIVE "Code" field corresponded to the Tunerpro "Unique ID" field and that it was something the ECM read uniquely.

Now, to the 64 dollar question. How do create an external input parameter? The whole intent of this exercise is to use my flashscan blackbox (I have both the early FSP V1.2 and the latest handheld) to get an oxygen sensor input in to the data stream?

Quote Originally Posted by Extinct View Post
    OK, thanks for the advice. Somehow I thought the EFILIVE "Code" field corresponded to the Tunerpro "Unique ID" field and that it was something the ECM read uniquely.

Now, to the 64 dollar question. How do create an external input parameter? The whole intent of this exercise is to use my flashscan blackbox (I have both the early FSP V1.2 and the latest handheld) to get an oxygen sensor input in to the data stream?
    Right now it is not possible to log ALDL data streams with FlashScan V1 or V2. That will be available once the V8 Scan Tool software is released for FlashScan V2.

Regards
    Paul

Right now it is not possible to log ALDL data streams with FlashScan V1 or V2. That will be available once the V8 Scan Tool software is released for FlashScan V2.

Regards
    Paul
    Wow, major bummer. I'm sure there is a thread with a hundred people bugging you about when that will be. So I take it the ALDL data stream is significantly different than the later models? So to use the V4 to log data I guess a different cable is required?

Quote Originally Posted by Extinct View Post
    Wow, major bummer. I'm sure there is a thread with a hundred people bugging you about when that will be. So I take it the ALDL data stream is significantly different than the later models? So to use the V4 to log data I guess a different cable is required?
    Yes a different cable is required but you can make an RS232-ALDL cable yourself for around $10 in parts if you have a real serial port on you laptop or you can purchase an ALDL-USB cable for around $80-$100 from various places on the net.

Reagrds
    Paul

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast