Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Ubuntu (GNU/Linux) users out there?

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garry
    I didn't hook the cable up under Linux yet, but I would asume the controller chip in the cable presents itself as something like a COM port ... if it does, it's as easy as opening a serial port and reading and writing it ...
    No, it doesn't present as a COM port. EFILive uses the USB drivers directly.
    Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

OK Just a guess on my side
    Garry Glendown * '17 Fifty 2SS MT * 99 Firehawk Convertible (for sale)

I've been actively using Linux (various distros) since kernel 0.99G .. I currently manage a couple dozen linux servers, and switch very regularly between my windoze and linux desktop machines depending on task. I only use (k)ubuntu as a livecd for disaster recovery though, my installed machines are typically some flavor of redhat/fedora. I HAVE been playing with SuSE (enterprise desktop/server 10) lately, and on the desktop distro its nice they include XGL/compiz out of the box. Very cool eye candy there. For doing real work I still prefer RH, SuSE tries to hold your hand and gives you point/click interfaces, but I'm too used to doing things directly.

FWIW, EFILive DOES run under Wine (kinda) (you have to hand-load in the USB drivers and do some funky configs, haven't tried flashing a car yet).

Lucky you edited your post.. Was just going to ask if it ALL worked, flashing etc. I would have been reloading my laptop this weekend
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

I need to try again, I haven't set it up in a few revisions. I've got WinXP back on the laptop again, so it makes it tough to actually try communicating with the car. I actually use another FTDI USB <--> TTL device with the native kernel drivers with other stuff, so I did my initial work for that. Then I got to thinking "hmmm, EFILive uses the same chip, lets give it a shot" :lol:

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

I was born and raised on Unix, only started developing on Windows for EFILive. There just wasn't enough call for a Linux based car tuner :(

I've said it before but I'll say it again. I will have a native version of EFILive running under Linux before I'm done.

Actually one of the design goals of the FlashScan V2 hardware is to offer a high level* API at the V2 hardware level. Specifically for third party developers to hook into from any operating system. i.e. embedded systems, dyno controllers, Linux, OSX, Windows, Palm, WinCE, anything really. As long as it supports either USB, RS232 or (eventually) wireless.

*High level, meaning API calls at the application level, i.e. GetVIN(), GetPID(), ReadPCM() and WritePCM() style calls directly to the V2 hardware.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Cool! Not that I'd need it, but none the less!
    Garry Glendown * '17 Fifty 2SS MT * 99 Firehawk Convertible (for sale)

I would love to see a PDA version of the application that would be great. I am hoping the new tablet will work for me though.

My kind of crowd , Linux talk , SuSE here SLED 10 and 10.1 , PCLinuxOs on laptop .
    Tried lots of Distros , live cd's , dvd's , Ubuntu , what can I say don't like it .
    New to forum , and EFILive , so "Hello everyone".
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Well I am posting this from Ubuntu, and as long as I can do this, well, my major issue is solved! I can use my fave browser (Mozilla's SeaMonkey) to gather information and to talk to the world without having any Micro$oft issues. Now that's PDG in my book!

Next is to look into the peripheral programs and continue to study the security and stability of Linux - and to someday start pestering Paul into finishing the Linux version of EFILive...

PS: Greetings tbGM!
    Early EFILive V5 user - Upgraded from AutoTap for DOS!
    2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, A4 - For occasional day trips...
    1984 Chevrolet Caprice Classic - For the family...
    1989 Honda VTR250 - For me and me only...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast