Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Ubuntu (GNU/Linux) users out there?

I'm definitely not offended!!! I think I suffer from the same feeling as you when I hear the name RedHat I used to be a RedHat guy before they decided that Linux should cost a shit load (like Windows). and, I never really got into the Fedora thing.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Yep , got burnt by Red Hat and was not to found of Fedora either .
    Still have the full retail box of Red Hat 8.0 just to remind me .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

SLES10

I do agree that Ubuntu is sort of a pretentious name, but then, ever since Mozilla became "SeaMonkey", well, let's hope EFILive doesn't call the next product "Gandalf's Staff" or "KarKumbayah"

As for the M$ of Linux - maybe, but when they release the source code to Win98SE for free, then maybe I'll agree.

MRK

I still have fedora core 1 boxes out there but for the new servers I use centos 3.8 or 4.4 depending on if I want IPSEC to work. ONly reason I dont switch to another distribution is I have not seen anything that was THAT much better for what I do and I have a substantial investment in building RPM packages that compile really easily across upgraded OS's. been doing Linux in commercial environments since 96...
    2001 Camaro SS
    EFILive Custom OS3

Quote Originally Posted by emarkay
    I do agree that Ubuntu is sort of a pretentious name, but then, ever since Mozilla became "SeaMonkey", well, let's hope EFILive doesn't call the next product "Gandalf's Staff" or "KarKumbayah"

As for the M$ of Linux - maybe, but when they release the source code to Win98SE for free, then maybe I'll agree.

MRK
    I think it is what you get used to , I try Distros out on neighbors or family members to get a reaction , they are not to geeky so it is a good indicator .
    Belive it or not all but one likes SuSE the best , the other like PCLInuxOS .
    Of course I set the boxes up for them to try , but not one like the U***** at all .
    So 5 out of 6 like SuSE , 1 likes PCLinuxOS and none U***** , I did not try to influence them in any way , just asked them to use and then let me know what they thought .

Most Linux Distros are free , or at least 98% are , so free is not a factor !

Any Windows source codes , maybe some day when Bill gets old and forgets .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Quote Originally Posted by tunedbyGM
    Any Windows source codes , maybe some day when Bill gets old and forgets .
    You don't want to look at Windows source code, it's BAD...

I occassionally look at Windows driver source code...
    my co-workers then have to slap (figuratively speaking) me several times to snap me out of a mental seizure...

Installing a linux desktop these days is SOOOO easy, nothing like the "old days." The closest you can get is probably the Gentoo distro, but they even make life easy with emerge... Heck, I'd say installing a fully functional linux box is easier than a comparable windoze box these days.

I'm probably the most comfortable with RH-style distros, because I spent/spend a LOT of time managing and maintaining them for a living. I know where they put everything. I know their developers style. That said, I used to be a big Slackware guy before the dawn of RH, dabbled with Debian for a while (not a fan), and probably installed at least 3/4 of the popular distros available. I'm running SLED 10 at home right now, and its pretty nice but I feel a little restricted at the same time. GREAT desktop though, hands down the best yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Brains
    ... Heck, I'd say installing a fully functional linux box is easier than a comparable windoze box these days. ...
    Yeah for sure. And cloning them is an absolute dream compared to windoze with it's SSID's and activation/registration.
    2001 Camaro SS
    EFILive Custom OS3

Brains and others...

Gimme a step-by-step to see if I can get EFILive Tune and Scan V7 running under Ubuntu....

Consider it something fun to do on a rainy evening,

I got Wine fro the repository, and it apparently is not even a "Gooey" program, so I need a bit of hand holding (why reinvent the wheel?).

Thanks!

MRK

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast