Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Any Ubuntu (GNU/Linux) users out there?

It's been a loooong time since I messed with wine but it is not the windows operating system. It will let you run windows binaries under Linux. I had best success testing it with a dual boot system. I'd setup wine config to see the windows partition and then execute the win binaries under linux. ran solitare, office, other stuff... it was OK... never made the time to try efilive but I hear it will work.
    2001 Camaro SS
    EFILive Custom OS3

There's 4 (count'em) bang-head-against-a-wall smileys in this post on this topic here on the Ubuntu forums:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=278701

I think I'll wait for someone who's "been there done that" for now.

MRK

SuSE , open Shell > type Wine > config runs , makes install folder > run program installer .
    So how simple is simple , "ies4linux" works good for installing IE in linux as it does everything for you , installs wine , runs IE install script and Java and other addon programs , now that's simple .
    Beta tested for Vmware , I know that it will do it but you are still in Windows , just running on top of Linux.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Quote Originally Posted by tunedbyGM
    SuSE , open Shell > type Wine > config runs , makes install folder > run program installer .
    So how simple is simple , "ies4linux" works good for installing IE in linux as it does everything for you , installs wine , runs IE install script and Java and other addon programs , now that's simple .
    Beta tested for Vmware , I know that it will do it but you are still in Windows , just running on top of Linux.

MSIE in Linux? [insert horrified smiley here] Now that sounds like someone putting sand in the KY Jelly....

Just want to see logfiles in Linux...
    Early EFILive V5 user - Upgraded from AutoTap for DOS!
    2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, A4 - For occasional day trips...
    1984 Chevrolet Caprice Classic - For the family...
    1989 Honda VTR250 - For me and me only...

Quote Originally Posted by emarkay
    MSIE in Linux? [insert horrified smiley here] Now that sounds like someone putting sand in the KY Jelly....

Just want to see logfiles in Linux...
    Well quit using U***** then and use a real Linux , I know IE in Linux , but lets you veiw things that require addons not available in Linux (Macromedia) , Streetfire videos for one.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Wine is a framework that allows windows applications to run -- the GUI portion is rendered in your existing desktop. A quick and easy example is to copy sol.exe from your windows machine to your Ubuntu home directory. Then, open up a shell, type "wine sol.exe" and hit enter. You'll see Solitaire pop open. You can do the same thing with basically any windows application. You can even run the installer for EFILive the same way, and it will "install" into your "virtual C: drive" folder in your home directory.

Quote Originally Posted by tunedbyGM
    Well quit using U***** then and use a real Linux , I know IE in Linux , but lets you veiw things that require addons not available in Linux (Macromedia) , Streetfire videos for one.
    Once I get familiar with it I may, but for now it's a rather steep learning curve and that "U" word is what I have for now. BTW, what is your recommendation for a stable, well supported and bloatware free distro?

As a longtime Mozilla user, (it's now called SeaMonkey) I have never found a site I needed that REQUIRED MSIE, and with the PrefBar add-on, I can selectively block Flash; it's ALWAYS blocked unless I can't find a text alternative for entry. Yes a few webpages (USAF Thunderbirds comes to mind) violate all W3 standards in that regard!

See the screenshot, from Linux, in SeaMonkey (I HATE that name) , after I (just for you) enabled Flash:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	efilivehomepage1.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	1020  
    Last edited by emarkay; October 17th, 2006 at 05:02 AM.

BTW, it took about a half hour to get that image under the file size limits.
    I had to learn how to edit and manipulate images in Linux.
    Now I can check off another Linux task completed!

See if you have Gimp installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brains
    See if you have Gimp installed.
    Brains lives up to his name - That's exactly what I used. I had to get the help and some plugins from the repository, but yea, what he said...

BTW, here's my list of file extensions I am now testing for Linux compatibility - messing with "Totem Movie Player" now...

ASF =
    DWG =
    WPW =
    AVI =
    FLV =
    GIF =
    HTML=
    JPG =
    MID =
    MP3 =
    MP4 =
    MPG =
    MPEG=
    PCX =
    PNG =
    MOV =
    RMVB=
    RM =
    SWF =
    TIF =
    WAV =
    BMP =
    WMV =
    DOC =
    WPW =
    WP =
    WPG =
    Early EFILive V5 user - Upgraded from AutoTap for DOS!
    2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, A4 - For occasional day trips...
    1984 Chevrolet Caprice Classic - For the family...
    1989 Honda VTR250 - For me and me only...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast