Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Any Ubuntu (GNU/Linux) users out there?

I know - but stupid is as stupid does...

I put a lot of effort into something that let me down - I know, it's no one's fault but my own, but I think that making something look like a near "drop in replacement" and then finding out it's still an Erector set is misleading.

I just had to vent.

I'll muddle thru with Windows and the world of malware for a few more years, till someone gets Linux a bit more prepared for prime time. (Imagine a configurable Windows clone with freedom of choice - wouldn't THAT be the perfect OS!)

[MRK crawls back under his rock now]

... even as a Unix/Linux guy, and after using Unix (like, mid 90s) and Linux (since 0.99 kernel) for a while, and hating M$ junk with a vengeance, there's still situations that I wonder what's in some of the OSS programmers' minds ... just today, I tried to get some patches to the current kernel tree to compile, which didn't work out ... so now I'm trying to use a vanilla kernel source to figure out what's going wrong ... while many things have gotten better over the years, there's still stuff that is a long way from being manageable for the average user ... but then, Windows isn't as easy as it's being advertised either ... just that under Windows, you usually blow up the whole system when something goes wrong
    Garry Glendown * '17 Fifty 2SS MT * 99 Firehawk Convertible (for sale)

Quote Originally Posted by emarkay
    I know - but stupid is as stupid does...

I put a lot of effort into something that let me down - I know, it's no one's fault but my own, but I think that making something look like a near "drop in replacement" and then finding out it's still an Erector set is misleading.

I just had to vent.

I'll muddle thru with Windows and the world of malware for a few more years, till someone gets Linux a bit more prepared for prime time. (Imagine a configurable Windows clone with freedom of choice - wouldn't THAT be the perfect OS!)

[MRK crawls back under his rock now]
    Hang in there , it takes a while to learn the Linux way of doing things .
    Free has a price , "your time" is the price you pay for free .
    I agree with Garry , Winders can be a bitch sometimes also .
    It took me years to get use to the Linux way , so don't give up .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

For the general guy that just wants to surf and play, Windows is definitely more "comfortable." All the "every day" stuff runs on windows, and you're well used to paying for everything to make it all work.

On the flip side, Linux (and the BSD's, and some other OS's) will do things Windows either cannot, or cannot do inexpensively. Run the internet for instance I can set up a fully functional and very high performance DNS/WWW/FTP/etc. server on Linux from a box of old computer parts and an internet connection in a matter of an hour or so. That's not even an option for someone wanting to accomplish the same feat with Windows, since you have to purchase the OS. You'll pay more for the software than you will the hardware it runs on in many cases

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567