Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Any Ubuntu (GNU/Linux) users out there?

Check out this site: http://www.getautomatix.com/

I used this to get all the little plugins etc. that I need to get everything working. The media stuff especially can be a PITA!!
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Quote Originally Posted by emarkay
    BTW, it took about a half hour to get that image under the file size limits.
    I had to learn how to edit and manipulate images in Linux.
    Now I can check off another Linux task completed!
    On the command line (where I live) "convert" is your friend... it's part of ImageMagick
    2001 Camaro SS
    EFILive Custom OS3

Quote Originally Posted by Tordne
    Check out this site: http://www.getautomatix.com/

I used this to get all the little plugins etc. that I need to get everything working. The media stuff especially can be a PITA!!
    Wow , that is a great link , funny it seems just about every Distro has its own GUI repository manager , RH YUM , SuSE SMART and YUM and YaST2 , PCLinuxOS and some others Synpatic .
    Getting easier and eaiser for just about every Distro , prehaps some day all will be as easy as the other . PCLinuxOS is a non bloated Distro give it a try as easy as U*****, someone asked .
    KDE has Kpaint , KU***** , which looks similar to Paint in Windows (don't know about Gnome ) , I personaly like GIMP , Image Magic forgot about that one .
    Adobe Flash Player 9 is the only video player Linux has a problem with (that I have ran into) , hence "ies4linux" .
    www.videos.streetfire.net .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Quote Originally Posted by tunedbyGM
    ...U*****... ...KU*****..."
    They aren't swear words
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

They aren't swear words
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Lifetime Member

They aren't swear words
    depends how use them

Um, ok well whatever, nevermind...

Maybe in a few more years?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...95#post1675095
    Early EFILive V5 user - Upgraded from AutoTap for DOS!
    2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, A4 - For occasional day trips...
    1984 Chevrolet Caprice Classic - For the family...
    1989 Honda VTR250 - For me and me only...

Quote Originally Posted by emarkay
    Um, ok well whatever, nevermind...

Maybe in a few more years?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...95#post1675095
    I hate to say it like this, but it appears as though "you don't get it." Lashing out on the Ubuntu forums obviously didn't accomplish anything, and honestly you made yourself look a bit... well.. stupid..

Ubuntu and many other Linux distros try to accomplish two major things -- be FREE in all aspects, and be easy to use. They don't intend to be a 100% switch-over-and-never-go-back alternative to Windows/OSX/whatever. Speaking of which, there's a few sound and video formats that don't play well or at all on a Mac either, so its not just Linux (or Ubuntu in this case).

Take for example the system I'm using at this very second -- Fedora Core 6. Straight out of the box, it will not play WMV videos. Why? Because Microsoft doesn't give away licenses to play them -- someone has to pay for them. However, I have several options. I can download and install libraries that hook into the genuine Windows dll's to play them, I can download Realplayer for Linux, etc. but NONE of those are free code. Someone is picking up the tab, or I'm breaking the law. It stinks -- file formats should be freely available in my opinion, so one major thing can be accomplished -- INTEROPERABILITY. However, that is a VERY sticky point with software vendors, because it potentially means lost revenue. Take for example, EFILive's choice to encrypt the .tun files. They are not in any way shape or form interoperable with others software. One of their competitors (HPTuners) does not encrypt their files. Who is more "evil" in that regard?

I'm sorry you weren't able to get some things working, but it isn't the fault of the operating system. That is the one point many on the Ubuntu forums tried to get across, and I hope it sticks with you that it truly is not the fault of anyone nor is it something that ever will be fixed as long as software patents and file format licenses exist. Are you aware that mp3 is a licensed format as well, and requires the payment of royalties for any device that can read or write that format? That's one other format that's not included "in the box" in a freely available linux distro, again for the same reasons. You can download the modules to do it, but you do so with the understanding of what you're doing legally.

Now there are NON-FREE linux distributions as well -- Novell Enterprise Desktop 10 comes to mind. It is packaged with licensed applications to play most of the formats on your list, right out of the box. But, you cannot download these distributions for free -- you have to pay for them, because of those proprietary licenses.

The like to Automatix I posted takes care of a lot of those codec things as well. The key one being w32codecs.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Wow , that was cold , I don't like some Linux OS's but man !
    I have gotten so use to Linux (KDE) , before all these GUI repository downloaders , you had to go to several sites to get video players to work .
    Right now I am writing this on my Laptop , that uses a EVDO Virezon card , I had to use a Unix (Mac) script to get it to work .
    Linux is not for everyone .
    2006 Trailblazer

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast